Puppy Bowl V starts earlier than the football game. Yay! Info about the whole schmoo can be found at http://animal.discovery.com/tv/puppy-bowl/puppy-bowl.html. Brilliant, brilliant idea they came up with.
Finished the fluffy book yesterday; it had even less substance than the previous books in the series so my brain turned to cotton candy for a while. Needing something more solid, I'm now reading Val McDermid's newest stand alone, THE DARKER DOMAIN. Here's a description:
It will be interesting to see where she goes with this, either way I will follow.
Fife, Scotland, 1985. Heiress Catriona Maclennan Grant and her baby son are kidnapped. The ransom payoff goes horribly wrong and Grant is killed. Her son disappears without a trace—until 2008, when a tourist in Tuscany stumbles upon dramatic new evidence that reopens the investigation.
Fife, 1984. At the height of the politically charged national miners' strike, Mick Prentice abandons his family to join the strikebreakers down south. Labelled a blackleg scab, he's as good as dead as far as his friends and relatives care. Twenty-three years later, a young woman walks into a police station to report Mick Prentice missing. Detective Karen Pirie, head of the Cold Case Review Team, wants to know why it's taken so long for anyone to notice.
For Pirie, already immersed in the Prentice investigation, a second foray into a 1980s investigation gone cold—this time, the Grant kidnapping—offers an opportunity to make her mark. But it's sure to come at an extremely high price. As she works to unravel these mysteries, two decades of secrets will lead Karen Pirie into a dark domain of violence and betrayal—darker than any she has yet encountered.
The Superbowl has become a national holiday surrounded by much indulgeance of food, partying, and in some circles, beer. I think it has replaced baseball as America's game. Did you know about the Superbowl:
- This year's Superbowl (XLIII) already has a Wikipedia entry. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Bowl_XLIII
- Many websites, including the NFL's official page, http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/43, has countdown clocks, now down to hours and minutes instead of days.
- The cost of tickets is pretty astronomical: http://www.superbowl-tickets.org/super_bowl_tickets.html. Steve says when he and Dave were there three years ago, scalpers were selling at $5000.
- The history of the Superbowl can be found at http://www.superbowlhistory.net/.
- You can view Superbowl commercials back to 1998 at http://www.superbowl-ads.com/.
- It is Black Sunday for pizza deliveries: http://adage.com/superbowl09/article?article_id=134207.
- Best football quote: by football commentator and former player Joe Theismann in 1996: "Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
- Okay, snacks and recipes galore. I'm making taco salad for dinner and I'm being bad with chips AND dip. But here's something interesting: Superbowl Extreme Tailgating giftbasket: http://www.gourmetgiftbaskets.com/Extreme-Tailgating-Super-Bowl-Basket.asp. Click the tab to see what's included.
Ayite, gotta do some laundry in the meantime and walk Tug in a couple hours. Still have several 4MA digests read (end of month reading lists making high traffic) and I haven't even checked out the roundup on Sarah Weinman's page yet.
I will leave you with this prayer: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, for peace in my house, let the Steelers win today!!
PK the Bookeemonster