Friday, August 22, 2008

082208

And the hits just keep on coming. I've got pink eye. In both eyes. So I went to the walk in clinic when it opened at 8; I was the third one there. One hour and twenty minutes later I was able to leave. Stopped by work to let them know I was taking four hours of sick time because I was contagious and they were saying "Go, Go! Ick!"; stopped by Billings Clinic to drop off a book for Mom and let her know my medical status, stopped by the library to pick up a hold; then went to Walmart to fill my prescription and get some groceries. An hour later for my prescription.... I was tired and hungry and finally got home at noon. Took a nap and woke to my eyes glowing red again and just finished walking Tug. Had to reschedule my hair cut for next week. AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHH. I just want to be healthy.

Work: Didn't

Reading: Finished DEATH'S HALF ACRE by Margaret Maron. The Elizabeth Peters got pushed back a week so I'll have to go back next Tuesday. I picked up my special order, the newest in the Prioress Eleanor series, FORSAKEN SOUL by Priscilla Royal. Here's the blurb:
Set in the summer of 1273, Royal's excellent fifth historical finds Prioress Eleanor of Tyndal beset by various problems: the local villagers disapprove of the nightly consultations Eleanor's difficult new anchoress has been conducting; the wife of her friend Crowner Ralf has recently died in childbirth, leaving him with an infant daughter; and she continues to struggle with her attraction to Brother Thomas, a monk (and prefers men). Then Martin the Cooper, a brute disliked by many, dies in bed with a prostitute at a Tyndal inn, an apparent poisoning victim. More horrific murders by poison follow before Eleanor and Ralf discover the truth in the stunning conclusion.
I don't have the book in front of me so I can't quote the first line today. As I mentioned previously, I met this author at LCC in Denver and was very impressed with her intelligence and wit. I've enjoyed her previous four books in this series. I also picked up Asa Larsson's THE BLACK PATH because it was a trade paperback and has been getting great responses, especially from Maddy Van, and THE MALICE OF UNNATURAL DEATH by Michael Jecks which is quite a ways into another medieval hystmyst series. I have the first in the series and have been trying and trying to get into but have had difficulties so perhaps it is a case of first-book-itis and I'm hoping plunging into the middle of the series after the author has had a run at it for a while it will spark it for me. There are about 25 books in that series so it would be a good long one to get into. At the library I picked up THE MERLOT MURDERS by Ellen Crosby which is into it's third book and looked initially too cozy for my tastes, but noted reviewer David Montgomery gave the third book a good review and he's no push over for cozies so I thought I'd give it a shot. I also picked up HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE by JK Rowling (of course) both in book and cd version. I've been meaning to re-read this as it is the next movie out (now next summer) and I have read it but it was very quickly when it first came out so I thought a refresher might be in order. I also picked up some more audios in case my eyes were bugging me too much: THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB by Karen Fowler -- thinking that maybe the audio would get me past my buggaboo about this, the next in series for me by Daniel Silva SECRET SERVANT, and Nevada Barr's newest, WINTER STUDY, which I had tried as a regular book but wasn't in the mood a while back so we'll see if this will do it -- it couldn't hurt.

TV: I didn't think there was anything on for me but checking the listings it looks like there is an exhibition game with the Cowboys. They've been sucking in the preseason but we only get to see them sixteen times in the regular season so I should at least check them out tonight. My boys.

Movies: Well, after I went to get my prescription and they told it would be longer for whatever reason, I went to the discounted DVDs stand to kill some time. Dangerous. They were only $5 each which is an amazing price, and damnit if I didn't get some, but I mean, these are fabulous movies: A Fistful of Dollars, The Good The Bad and the Ugly, The Magnificent Seven, Thin Red Line, Syriana, The Thomas Crowne Affair, Traffic, and Speed (which I love but only have on VHS). I could have gotten even double that because there are movies that I don't necessarily think of everyday but they are good for someday. For instance they had On Golden Pond, When Harry Met Sally, A River Runs Through It, etc. Evil people, making me kill time like that. But these are classic good movies for very cheap that I want to get more familiar with. Gotta make use of the laptop, eh? What I'd like to do is subscribe to Netflix and start taking advantage of that selection -not only for independent and notable films but also the tv series DVDs. But for now, I have enough of my own for a bit and I'll start working the library.

My eyes are bugging me quite a bit so I'll get this done. I think Steve is doing some scrapping tomorrow. I am just going to get better this weekend. That's it: I'm done with this illness this weekend. So let it written; so let it be done (done in the voice of Yul Brynner) (quote from The Ten Commandments, another really great movie).

See ya tomorrow...

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: