Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Wow, existential crisis .... No wait, false alarm.


(pant) (pant) (pant)... I've just finished binge watching the first two seasons of Arrow on Netflix. Forty-six episodes.  In less than a week.



Ok, I skimmed a lot, especially the second season. :)


What I don't understand is why I still like the show -- because the dude sleeps with every female except his sister, his mom, his girlfriends' mom (yes plural on the girlfriends -- they're sisters --- don't ask), and his Girl Friday. But I think that status is going to change on the Girl Friday in season 3. And we don't hate him. So he's slept with 5 women and not slept with four. Ah, the life of a billionaire playboy hooded vigilante.... We love those do-gooder bad-boys.

Oh, wait, I've just thought of four more he didn't sleep with - smaller roles. Two women who are/were involved with Diggle but I suppose the "bro code" was in play there. A female military type but we're learning he has a past with her from when he was on the island so that is still in the air. And a League of Assassins chick but she was a lesbian. So I guess these don't count. :)


I suppose I'll watch Netflix's original series Daredevil next or at least check it out. That only has twelve episodes.

And tonight, I have the last episode of Broadchurch season 2:

The jury delivers its verdict on Joe Miller, leading to a bitter exchange between the winning and losing barristers. Meanwhile Hardy arrests Claire on the strength of the evidence she has brought him and interviews her, finding she has links to more than one of the suspects in the Sandgate case, the next step being to charge Lee Ashworth. Assisted by a still emotional Ellie and now driven to the point of obsession he questions Ashworth and finally solves who killed the two young girls in Sandgate, putting an end to two years of torment. Broadchurch itself now reverberates to the end of the murder trial and its result, as the residents attempt to move on with their lives.
It's no secret that Broadchurch's first season was met with critical acclaim, but this second offering has been met with a more mixed response. I've been thinking about that. Other than the usual sour grapes toward a successful venture in it's second season, I think it tried to do too much. The fantastic first season focused on what the death of a boy, Danny Latimer, does to a family and small community. Ripping it apart and exposing secrets. And then there was the big question of who did it and the big reveal at the very end. In this second season, I believe it was trying to show the affect an ugly trial has on a family and community, ripping it a part and exposing secrets. I truly understand what they were trying to do since few people really know what it is like to go through such things themselves. The problem is that we the audience already knew the secrets because we saw them in the previous season even though they were being revealed to more people in the course of the trial. We were there for every step of it but they had to go over it and over it for the trial.  And we really didn't have much empathy for the new characters that were introduced -- the two barristers, the people in Hardy's cold case, even Hardy's ex-wife because we knew from the previous show that she was the cause of the Sandgate case going wrong and Hardy took the blame because he's a good guy. Not likeable. And yes, the writer/creator Chris Chibnall set out to write something completely different from the first one, going from a police procedural to a court room drama -- he stated that. But I think it would have been overall more effective if it had continued as a police procedural. The biggest strength the show has was the partnership between DI Alec Hardy and DS Ellie Miller, and lead stars David Tennant and Olivia Colman playing those parts,  but they didn't capitalize on it. They are doing a third season eventually, probably showing in the US next year. I'm glad and I hope they do better. 

Gaack. Free me from TV. I really, really need to get back to my reading. I miss it so.


Or the moment when the story just comes together and something *pings* inside of you. It could be a good twist you never saw coming, or a relationship that finally comes together right, or the bad guy dies a truly satisfying death with proper comeuppance. The story that just won't leave your mind for DAYS.  

To this day, I remember reading in 2000, George R R Martin's STORM OF SWORDS (third book of GAME OF THRONES series), and gasping loudly or yelling or something out loud during the Red Wedding scene (you know what I'm talking about) and Steve coming running into the room to see what was wrong. THAT is getting involved in a good tale. And. I. love. it.  

Sigh. Hopefully in May.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: