Friday, May 17, 2013

I do the same thing with spiders

Holy Ceiling Cat!


So Steve didn't hate his birthday present -- something that made me very nervous -- and  he didn't jump up and down with joy either but.... I gave him an hour-long massage. I think he'll do it.

Tonight I'll pick up dinner from Jakes after  groceries and dog food shopping after work. Tomorrow I have to spend the day at the library because a microfiche from another town I requested is in -- it's a part of a project I'm working on. I only have it for a limited time.

I walked the dogs this morning, no events good or bad happened. Now it's raining. I wish it would rain all day long. All weekend long would be lovely. Sigh.

30 Day Reading Challenge
Day 21 - Favorite book from your childhood

Well, I've mentioned reading the Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew books - I preferred the Hardy Boys. There was also the Dana Girls by the same syndicate. Cherry Ames. I forgot about the Beezuz and Ramona books when it asked about the chapter books earlier. Trixie Belden was the best of the "youth detective" books. I also enjoyed the books by Rosamund du Jardin about Tobey in high school and going to college. Oh, and Judy Blume was risque at the time. Oh, and Marilyn Sachs was an early chapter book about Amy and Laura and there's the Katie John books by Mary Calhoun. And I also really loved the Welsh mythology-based books, The Chonicles of Prydain, by Lloyd Alexander featuring Taran and Princess Eilonwy and the bard-king Fflewddur Fflam and Prince Gwydion. THOSE books really shaped my love of  "quest" books. But to only choose one book..... I'm going with HARRIET THE SPY  by Louise Fitzhugh. (wow, who opened the floodgate?)

But around the 5th grade I started reading Mom's romances -- THE FLAME AND THE FLOWER by Kathleen Woodiweis was the first. There were a lot of Victoria Holt, Mary Stewart, and Phyllis Whitneys (those were tame) mixed in with Rosemary Rogers, Beatrice Small, Jude Deveraux, and Janet Dailey, etc.

Then SFF (started by DUNE by Frank Herbert) in junior high and then mystery (CURTAIN by Agatha Christie). Now ... I read them all. :) Plus nonfiction. It may be easier to list what I DON'T read -- general fiction, award-winning "literature", contemporary fiction.

Ok, I'm done rambling. Off you go.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: