Wednesday, September 20, 2023

Getting into the muck of it

Wednesday

Over on the cozy group I follow on Discord and the scavenger hunts twice a month done there, the first scavenger hunt of October is actually coming up quickly, on the 1st. The prompt is "at least two letters in the title start with the same letter." I was looking and probably spending too much time on it. What I've decided - for today -- is to do a book I've been meaning to re-read for quite a while. I believe I first read it around 1988-1989-ish. I, of course, was a younger, different version of myself just getting started in reading mysteries. I do remember distinctly beginning this series because of all the name dropping of authors that at that time I was unfamiliar. So. 

Currently (also) reading DEATH ON DEMAND by Carolyn Hart. 1st of 26 in series featuring Annie Laurance, a mystery book store owner, and Max Darling, investigator, in Broward’s Rock, South Carolina. 

 At Annie Laurance's Death On Demand bookstore on Broward's Rock Island, South Carolina, murder most foul suddenly isn't confined to the well-stocked shelves. Author Elliot Morgan's abrupt demise during a weekly gathering of famous mystery writers called the Sunday Night Regulars is proof positive that a bloody sword is sometimes mightier than a brilliant pen.With Annie in the unenviable position of primary police suspect, the pretty young mystery maven and her wealthy paramour, Max Darling, embark on an investigation into a classic locked-room mystery with high stakes. For failing to unmask a brutal and ingenious killer could mean prison for Ms. Laurance. While success could mean her death.

Published 1987; 221 pages. And interestingly, the group is slightly younger than me and I don't think they've read this series. The older ones, like myself, will remember it.

There are other authors/books that I read 30+ years ago that I would like to re-visit. Martha Grimes comes to mind.

Reading update:

 I don't have sprints tonight. I did experiment with the crochet project last night and decided I don't like the stitch so I'm starting over. Steve's got the gun range per usual. So not much happening.


Have a good day


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: