Monday, May 9, 2022

Trying to fit in


Monday

 


The weekend was fine. I went to beading group on Saturday. It was just four of us. Then I went to dinner at The Montana Club. I had a Reuben sandwich. Meh. I've had better but it was ok. 

 


 Steve apparently has an orientation at the gun club to participate in tonight. We were only going to have leftovers so that's ok. I don't know what I'll be doing. I didn't crochet over the weekend. I only beaded at beading group.

 


 I did start a re-read and an actual paper book. In my neighborhood, there's a Little Library. And the owner has had some paperbacks of the China Bayles. I'm currently re-reading ROSEMARY REMEMBERED by Susan Wittig Albert. 4th of 27 in series featuring China Bayles, an herbalist and former attorney, in Pecan Springs, Texas.

 


 China's herb shop in Pecan Springs wasn't a big business, but it kept her busy. So she brought her taxes to Rosemary Robbins, an accountant who reminded China a bit of her former self—preoccupied, distracted, maybe a bit overstressed. Still, Rosemary always seemed pleasant, and China wished she could get to know her better. Now, though, the chance is gone. Driving out to Rosemary's house on an errand, China discovers her accountant has been murdered. With one abusive ex-husband and plenty of former clients in the picture, there's no shortage of suspects. And with a vengeful ex-convict on the loose, there's plenty for China to worry about. And as the evidence unfolds, she's more determined than ever to make the killer pay...

 Published 1995; 304 pages. I probably read it when it came out in 1995. I stopped the series somewhere in the middle I think. The thing that is bothering me about this book is SO MUCH of her insistence on China's "women's lib". OMG. Enough already. What women's lib, to me, never saw was that it really was about women being empowered. And empowered women can be independent AND have relationships and do things with/for others. What I like about the books in general -- just so I will balance out my reaction -- is the info on herbs and her world building as an author. So why am I re-reading it? Because it's there.

 Have a good day

 


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: