Monday, October 17, 2022

Monday came much too soon


Monday

 

Over the weekend I read ALL SYSTEMS RED by Martha Wells. 1st of 6 in Murderbot SFF series.

 


"As a heartless killing machine, I was a complete failure."

In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety. But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn’t a primary concern. On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid — a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.” Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is. But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth.

Published 2017; 156 pages.  I needed to read a short book to help make up my reading goals numbers (the Galbraith only counts as one unfortunately). I've known about this book but resisted it. I really liked it.

 Currently reading THE ART OF THEFT by Sherry Thomas. 4th of 7 in series featuring Charlotte Holmes, a disgraced young gentlewoman solving cases under the pseudonym Sherlock Holmes, beginning in 1886 London.

 


As "Sherlock Holmes, consulting detective," Charlotte Holmes has solved murders and found missing individuals. But she has never stolen a priceless artwork—or rather, made away with the secrets hidden behind a much-coveted canvas. But Mrs. Watson is desperate to help her old friend recover those secrets and Charlotte finds herself involved in a fever-paced scheme to infiltrate a glamorous Yuletide ball where the painting is one handshake away from being sold and the secrets a bare breath from exposure. Her dear friend Lord Ingram, her sister Livia, Livia's admirer Stephen Marbleton—everyone pitches in to help and everyone has a grand time. But nothing about this adventure is what it seems and disaster is biding time on the grounds of a glittering French chateau, waiting only for Charlotte to make a single mistake...

 Published 2019; 303 pages.

 I had a pretty okay weekend. I went to the coffee shop and worked on bullet journals and otherwise I had a typical weekend.

 


 I did watch some YouTube vlogs of books and reading as I have been for the last little while. I got inspired by them not only to read a physical book ...

 


 ... which I got today during lunch but also to try to annotate it. Example:

 


 How I would like to do it is not the emotional reactions to what they're reading as I've seen so many do, but to read it for story structure, character development, and world building as well as good writing.


 So you tab things, highlight things, make notes in the margins. I'm looking forward to it. 

Also this weekend, yesterday to be precise, I wore size 16 jeans.


Steve said "I've noticed. Every day. I'm finally getting my baby back." But I'm not doing it for him. I'm doing it for me. 

He's got a committee meeting tonight. I'll do my pages, prep my salad tomorrow, read, etc.

 


Have a good day

 


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: