Friday, January 19, 2024

I claim the weekend!


TGIF

I finished THE RIGHT SORT OF MAN by Allison Montclair. 1st of 6 in series featuring Miss Iris Sparks and Mrs. Gwendolyn Bainbridge, proprietors of The Right Sort Marriage Bureau, beginning in 1946 London. 5 stars. 

OMG! I just found out that Allison Montclair is a pseudonym for ALAN GORDON! I love and adore Alan Gordon's Jester series!!

I'm SO so so so so so so happy. I would have read this way sooner if I had known. 

Welllll. I'm giving Brandon Sanderson another go, it appears. He is a MUCH celebrated SFF author who I have never ever after many attempts been able to read.

Multiple times I've tried over the years. Yesterday, as I often do, I went behind my current reads backs and dabbled in another book or two, hence I wind up reading four books. Yesterday, it was a Brandon Sanderson for some reason. I'm now on page 36 of MISTBORN: THE FINAL EMPIRE. 

So here we are. The furthest in this I've ever been. I'm not going to give up this time. Currently reading MISTBORN by Brandon Sanderson. 1st of the first SFF trilogy in this world.


For a thousand years the ash fell and no flowers bloomed. For a thousand years the Skaa slaved in misery and lived in fear. For a thousand years the Lord Ruler, the "Sliver of Infinity," reigned with absolute power and ultimate terror, divinely invincible. Then, when hope was so long lost that not even its memory remained, a terribly scarred, heart-broken half-Skaa rediscovered it in the depths of the Lord Ruler's most hellish prison. Kelsier "snapped" and found in himself the powers of a Mistborn. A brilliant thief and natural leader, he turned his talents to the ultimate caper, with the Lord Ruler himself as the mark. Kelsier recruited the underworld's elite, the smartest and most trustworthy allomancers, each of whom shares one of his many powers, and all of whom relish a high-stakes challenge. Then Kelsier reveals his ultimate dream, not just the greatest heist in history, but the downfall of the divine despot. But even with the best criminal crew ever assembled, Kel's plan looks more like the ultimate long shot, until luck brings a ragged girl named Vin into his life. Like him, she's a half-Skaa orphan, but she's lived a much harsher life. Vin has learned to expect betrayal from everyone she meets. She will have to learn trust if Kel is to help her master powers of which she never dreamed.

Published 2006; 558 pages.

Today is Candy's birthday. I gave her the completed afghan I'd been working on. She loved the color (dark teal) and liked it a lot I think. It's an extremely cuddly velvet yarn. Because of life in the last couple weeks, I didn't work on it at all so it became more of a lap blanket than bed blanket. But it is done, gifted, moving on.

Now back to Steve's afghan and starting the book genre blanket. Here's the yarn colors that I've chosen:


My plan thus far (maybe):

Dark Green = historical mystery

Dark Blue = fantasy

Pink = romance

Light Green = contemporary mystery/thriller

Brown = science fiction

White = DNF

Black = nonfiction

Light Blue = open or any other type of read

I've completed six books so far this year so I've got some catching up to do.

We've got the Reacher finale to watch tonight. I've got sprints tomorrow afternoon. Otherwise, the usual stuff.

Have a good day

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: