Friday, February 2, 2024

Friday great expectations


TGIF. Receptionist out today - major dental stuff.

Well I finally found a book to read for Retro Romance Readathon this month. 

A) Because, while I like it fine, romance isn't my preferred genre.

B) I have high expectations for characters/stories in general - don't be stupid or insult a reader's intelligence.

C) The books for this readathon have to be published prior to 2004 and, let's face it, there are some VERY cringy romance books in previous decades.

But I have found one! And I REALLY like it.

Currently reading I WILL SURVIVE by Samantha Connolly. 

When mild-mannered librarian Jessie Banks ends up as a finalist on the hot reality-TV show Survive This!, her whole world turns upside down. "Stranded" on a tropical island with Nick Garrett -- a hunk of a host -- and two other competitors, she's thousands of miles from home, with only her humor, her smarts and the contents of a clutch bag to help her win a million dollars. Will she survive the scheming producer's ways, tricky challenges, secret cameras, the theatrics of the other contestants and Nick's charm and flirty good looks?

Published 2004; 217 pages.

This category line, Harlequin Flipside, only lasted for a couple years (2003 and 2004-ish) and only did 42 books in total. "Fun, witty, unexpected." But they didn't continue it.

And I will read many more of them, I'm thinking. Plus I'll get to add pink rows to my genre blanket. It had been looking pretty bleak there with no Ren Faire book or Sullivan's Place on the horizon.

I've got sprints tomorrow afternoon. I keep finding crochet projects I want to get going on -- example, two weddings to gift for. So I will be working on a blanket of some sort.

No other real plans for the weekend beyond the usual. 

Have a good weekend

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: