Friday, March 6, 2009

Friday wrap up

I finished DEATH IN THE DARK WALK by Deryn James. I liked it very much and I'm seeking out the second in series. I don't quite know what's next for me to read yet. I do have STARVATION LAKE now from the library or I may read the first in Michael Jecks' multi-tomed historical mystery series.

Last night's NRA banquet went well but it was looooonnnnng. Five hours of raffle, silent auction and live auction. The meal was prime rib which I don't really like because the rules say it must be rare to the point of still bleeding which is way too red for me. It had really good flavor in the done bits but Tug will be getting most of it for dinner tonight, the lucky pup. We didn't win anything and Steve was top bidder in a couple silent auctions for gun cases. We were at the front table. Sitting next to us was a cuuuute little guy of about five years who was "helping" the auctioneer by being the first bidder for everything -- with a little help from his dad. Just adorable. Zach was his name. A new item would be up and the auctioneer would say "What do say, Zach?" And Zach would look at his dad who'd mouth something and Zach would shout "Fifty dollars!!" And off to the races the auctioneer would go with the real bidders. Zach got the last item of the night, a gun and the auctioneer said that Zach's "financial advisor would have to sign for it." Zach got a $20 bill from the auctioneer at the end of it and was invited to the auctioneer's next gig. :) He said, "I like you, Zach, you're always on my side." Typical of auctions as fundraisers: the organization is trying to raise money but the buyers are there to get bottom basement prices for stuff. I think overall they did well.

So right now I'm baking lemon bars for my Dad's birthday tomorrow. He loves lemon. I'm sitting with a cup of tea waiting for the timer to ding. It will cool overnight and be ready to deliver in the morning.

I had to run an errand this afternoon. I've told you about Kona the chocolate lab getting out and coming to our house in the wee hours of the morning, right? This afternoon I saw Kona and his buddy in crime Peter out in someone's yard so I pulled over and got them in the car and took them home -- their gate was wide open. Did I mention that Peter is a St. Bernard? Have you ever had a St. Bernard in your car. Yes, they're BIG. I think they were somewhat happy to be found and who knows where they could have roamed to, the doofases. We're two streets away from a very busy and fast street and it scares me silly to think of dogs out there.

Tonight I have to remember to watch The Learning Channel's Say Yes to the Dress. Another silly show but it's amusing to watch wedding dress choices, the occasional bridezilla, and the gabillions of dollars they spend on a dress worn once.

Today's Blog/Website of the Day is the I Love A Mystery Newsletter online found at http://www.iloveamysterynewsletter.com/. So much there you can spend hours browsing and is a good place for getting great ideas for good reads. Put it in your favorites and check often.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: