Sunday, March 1, 2009

Sunday

I think I'm sticking with DEVIL BONES by Kathy Reichs as my current read though I have a many good books in the histmyst category to get to that I really want to read asap. It looks like this is 11th of 11 in series featuring Temperance Brennan, a forensic anthropologist in the Province of Quebec, Canada, and Charlotte, North Carolina. I can't remember now if I read book 10 or not but I definitely have read all the others. This series, as many know, is now the basis for a television show called Bones. I've not watched it nor will I. The strange thing is that there are now tv-tie-in books available so there are books written on the tv show written on the books. From what I understand the tv show is KIND OF like a younger version of the main character but with a slightly alternate universe in that she's not married to Pete. Got it? Oy. Here's the description of this book:
While working in Charlotte, N.C., Brennan investigates remains unearthed during a housing renovation and discovers disturbing clues possibly pointing to voodoo or Santeria. She must determine if the bones, including the skull of a teenage girl, are linked to an unidentified headless torso found in a nearby lake. Intent on using the deaths as the cornerstone of his crusade against immorality, fundamentalist preacher turned politician Boyce Lingo claims that the bodies bear the mark of devil worshippers. With the help of Det. Erskine Skinny Slidell, Brennan unearths a tangled web of dirty politics, religious persecution and male prostitution.
The book has 320 pages and was published in 2008. This series is HEAVILY into forensic detail and not necessarily for the squeemish. I remember in one book, she was in a septic tank and I learned more than I ever wanted to know and still try to get it out of my brain. But right now, this book is suiting my mood for a procedural.
Tonight on tv is a new Jesse Stone made-for-tv film starring Tom Selleck. This series of tv movies is based on the mystery books by Robert Parker but this particular story is an original. I read somewhere that this was actually filmed in 2007 and for some reason was held up until now. Steve likes to watch these, too.
Today's Blog/Website of the Day features Female Sleuths and can be found at http://female-sleuths.blogspot.com/.
It's a gorgeous 50 degrees out there today and very sloppy with the snow that's remaining. It's supposed to be in the 40s and 50s for the next 10 days, according to weather.com.
Enjoy your Sunday!
Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

2 comments:

LadyPI said...

Thanks so much for featuring my blog on your "Today's Blog/Website of the Day"!

That will provide me with more incentive to keep on blogging!

PK the Bookeemonster said...

And sometimes we need all the incentives we can get! :) You've got a great site ... keep at it please.