Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Only half way ...


 Wednesday.

 


I could swear that Mercury is in retrograde because of the morning I had. But it's not. I ordered breakfast from Hardee's for the guys via DoorDash because there was a truck to unload and we try to feed them. Long story short, the person delivered to the wrong place and we never got the food. DoorDash would only refund about 25% of the total amount I got charged. I contacted my credit card company and they said it could be disputed but I had to wait until it officially posted to the count ... in a day or so. The good news is that it was actually transacted through Paypal who immediate refunded my the remaining amount. And Steve was mad with me when he found out how much it had cost (my money). But food is expensive these days. Lesson learned.

 


 Steve has got the gun range tonight.

 


Tonight I've got to do some prepping for my salad tomorrow -- cook some sausage, make some salad dressing. It's pizza salad tomorrow.

 


And I need to do my writing pages this evening per usual. Also, I'd like to finishing watching the new episode of Good Bones via streaming. And I want to read.

 I think I'll be going with MERCURY PICTURES PRESENTS by Anthony Marra. Stand alone.

 


 Like many before her, Maria Lagana has come to Hollywood to outrun her past. Born in Rome, where every Sunday her father took her to the cinema instead of church, Maria immigrates with her mother to Los Angeles after a childhood transgression leads to her father’s arrest. Fifteen years later, on the eve of America’s entry into World War II, Maria is an associate producer at Mercury Pictures, trying to keep her personal and professional lives from falling apart. Her mother won’t speak to her. Her boss, a man of many toupees, has been summoned to Washington by congressional investigators. Her boyfriend, a virtuoso Chinese American actor, can’t escape the studio’s narrow typecasting. And the studio itself, Maria’s only home in exile, teeters on the verge of bankruptcy. Over the coming months, as the bright lights go dark across Los Angeles, Mercury Pictures becomes a nexus of European émigrés: modernist poets trying their luck as B-movie screenwriters, once-celebrated architects becoming scale-model miniaturists, and refugee actors finding work playing the very villains they fled. While the world descends into war, Maria rises through a maze of conflicting politics, divided loyalties, and jockeying ambitions. But when the arrival of a stranger from her father’s past threatens Maria’s carefully constructed facade, she must finally confront her father’s fate—and her own.

Published 2022; 412 pages.

 I viewed some YouTube videos of a book journal bullet journal chick that I found that I like how she set up her reading journal and one of the videos was her "best of" reads for last year. She had a bracket like basketball, one book per month. Then the winners were pitted like January versus February, until there were six. And then three. And then one. And her agony at having to choose was amusing to watch. But it also made me re-think my personal reading choices lately.


 And I know reading tastes differ and read what makes you happy, yadda yadda yadda. I just want to be better in my choices. And I want to look back on my reading journals and be proud. Now, I'm not going to read book club things or the latest and greatest blah trendy book ...

 


 Anyway, I think getting back to reading tracking, doing a journal this way, will make me more conscious of what I read.

Have a good day

 


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster 

No comments: