Monday, August 1, 2022

Too darn hot


 Monday

 


Here's what I've got done on my bullet journal. I like it. There were a couple troubles but this is a learning curve.  This first photo is of the journal I have for this month. I like all of it except the dotted grid. It is so faint it almost not usable.

 


 Monthly spread:


 Tracker spread:

 
 
 
Reading spread



 First week of August spread:

 


 I don't have a photo of the daily spreads because I'm still working on them even though today is the first day. This is mostly done with stickers.

 Currently reading:

BEING AN ACTOR by Simon Callow. Autobiography.


Few actors have ever been more eloquent, more honest, or more entertaining about their life and their profession than Simon Callow, one of the finest actors of his time and increasingly one of the most admired writers about the theater. Beginning with the letter to Laurence Olivier that produced his first theatrical job to his triumph as Mozart in the original production of Amadeus, Callow takes us with him on his progress through England's rich and demanding theater: his training at London's famed Drama Centre, his grim and glorious apprenticeship in the provincial theater, his breakthrough at the Joint Stock Company, and then success at Olivier's National Theatre are among the way stations. Callow provides a guide not only to the actor's profession but also to the intricacies of his art, from unemployment—"the primeval slime from which all actors emerge and to which, inevitably, they return"—to the last night of a long run.

Published 1984; 375 pages. Updated/revised 2007. Though I haven't done theatre in about 30 years, I do like reading their autobiographies, particularly British ones. 

And

 THE FLAME AND THE FLOWER by Kathleen Woodiwiss. Romance. Re-read. 1st of trilogy.


Doomed to a life of unending toil, Heather Simmons fears for her innocence—until a shocking, desperate act forces her to flee. . . and to seek refuge in the arms of a virile and dangerous stranger. A lusty adventurer married to the sea, Captain Brandon Birmingham courts scorn and peril when he abducts the beautiful fugitive from the tumultuous London dockside. But no power on Earth can compel him to relinquish his exquisite prize. For he is determined to make the sapphire-eyed prize. For he is determined to make the sapphire-eyed lovely his woman. . .and to carry her off to far, uncharted realms of sensuous, passionate love.

 Published 1972; 512 pages. Ok, backstory: this was the first romance book I ever read --- in the 5th grade. I snuck it out from my Mom's stash. No she didn't allow me to read gothic romances and no she didn't know I had done it. I was a precocious reader.

 


 Anyhoo, I felt it was time for a re-read a few decades later. Even though the story has a rape in it (it was the the 70s bodice rippers, people, even General Hospital had their greatist super-couple start with a rape and no it is not a good thing, I've read more explicit sexual situations that what is in the book so far. I am also noticing that the writing is more dense. That is a thing with older books. Newer books have a short-attention-span audience.

Have a good day

 


 

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: