Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Can't you see I'm busy?


 Wednesday

 


Last night I started ... and finished ... a stand alone romance. THE REUNION by Kayla Olson.

 


 Liv Latimer grew up on TV.  As the star of the popular teen drama Girl on the Verge, Liv spent her adolescence on the screen trying to be as picture perfect as her character in real life. But after the death of her father and the betrayal of her on-screen love interest and off-screen best friend Ransom Joel, Liv wanted nothing more than to retreat, living a mostly normal life aside from a few indie film roles. But now, twenty years after the show’s premiere, the cast is invited back for a reunion special, financed by a major streaming service. Liv is happy to be back on set, especially once she discovers Ransom has only improved with age. And their chemistry is certainly still intact. They quickly fall into their old rhythms, rediscovering what had drawn them together decades before. But with new rivalries among the cast emerging and the specter of a reboot shadowing their shoot, Liv questions whether returning to the past is what she needs to finally get her own happy ending.

Published 2023 (yesterday); 320 pages. It was just an intriguing set up and I guess I was in the mood.

Can you believe that I've already read SEVEN books this year?! My original 2023 reading goal was three a month because of the big epic fantasies I'm meaning to read. So now I've upped my goal from 36 books read this year to 48 (so far) for my yearly goal. I may have to increase it again.  



 The reading sprint this Saturday on YouTube has another scavenger hunt attached. This one is "Clothing in title or on the cover". I've had a cozy in my TBR since 2016 that is probably time to read and will fit the bill:

DESIGN FOR DYING by Renee Patrick. 1st of 5 in series featuring Lillian Frost, an aspiring actress and social secretary, and costume designer Edith Head, in late 1930s Los Angeles.

 


Los Angeles, 1937. Lillian Frost has traded dreams of stardom for security as a department store salesgirl . . . until she discovers she's a suspect in the murder of her former roommate, Ruby Carroll. Party girl Ruby died wearing a gown she stole from the wardrobe department at Paramount Pictures, domain of Edith Head. Edith has yet to win the first of her eight Academy Awards; right now she's barely hanging on to her job, and a scandal is the last thing she needs. To clear Lillian's name and save Edith's career, the two women join forces. Unraveling the mystery pits them against a Hungarian princess on the lam, a hotshot director on the make, and a private investigator who's not on the level. All they have going for them are dogged determination, assists from the likes of Bob Hope and Barbara Stanwyck, and a killer sense of style. In show business, that just might be enough.

Published 2016; 320 pages.

 


 Steve's got the gun range tonight. So it will be just me and Ryker until about 7:30-8pm.

 I was in a very not great mood yesterday - stress from work -- but I'm better today. Just gonna keep reading -- my happy place.

 


Have a good day


 Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: