Thursday, January 19, 2023

It's not Friday/Weekend yet face


 Thursday.

 


 On the reading front, I've decided to set aside the David Lagercrantz book for now. It was just not the right time to read it apparently.


 So. I'm taking up another from my 23 in 2023 books. This one's a monster.

THE WAY OF KINGS by Brandon Sanderson. 1st of 4 in Stormlight Archives fantasy series.

 


War rages on a ruined landscape called the Shattered Plains. There, Kaladin, who traded his medical apprenticeship for a spear to protect his little brother, has been reduced to slavery. In a war that makes no sense, where ten armies fight separately against a single foe, he struggles to save his men and to fathom the leaders who consider them expendable. Brightlord Dalinar Kholin commands one of those other armies. Like his brother, the late king, he is fascinated by an ancient text called The Way of Kings. Troubled by over-powering visions of ancient times and the Knights Radiant, he has begun to doubt his own sanity. Across the ocean, an untried young woman named Shallan seeks to train under an eminent scholar and notorious heretic, Dalinar's niece, Jasnah. Though she genuinely loves learning, Shallan's motives are less than pure. As she plans a daring theft, her research for Jasnah hints at secrets of the Knights Radiant and the true cause of the war.

Published 2010; 1252 pages. I do have this as a paperback but I'm reading it on Kindle because it was only $1.99 yesterday. Woot. 

Like Steven King is to horror, Brandon Sanderson is a "name" in fantasy. An "A" list author and fantasy readers absolutely love him. I've meant to read him for a long time ... now is the time. And I'm five books ahead in my reading goal.

 


As of last night, I'm on page 62. I will admit that the beginning of the book has been rough going, as in understanding the world is confusing to start into it. Some authors in their worldbuilding of their book give explanations of words they've made up so you kinda know what's going on. Not his author: jump right in because IN THAT WORLD they know what these words are referring to and there are A LOT of them. But I'm sticking with it.


 Before going to bed last night I switched to the Renee Patrick cozy mystery for something easier. The way the main character speaks -- and the setting of 1937 -- I'm picturing a young Lauren Bacall.

 


 This evening we've got BattleBots but I've also got a reading sprint to support on YouTube. Starts at 5 our time so I'll listen in as I drive home and take care of Ryker. I don't think I'll watch BattleBots with Steve; I'll read.


 Have a good day

 


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: