Monday, January 30, 2023

Winter came back


 Monday.

 


Since it was flipping cold this weekend, I stayed home and read. And read. And read some more. 

 


I started and finished THE THREE DAHLIAS by Katy Watson. 1st of 2 in series.

 


 In attendance: the VIP fans, staying at Aldermere; the fan club president turned convention organizer; the team behind the newest movie adaptation of Davenport's books; the Davenport family themselves - and the three actresses famous for portraying Lettice's 1930s detective, Dahlia Lively. National treasure Rosalind King, from the original movies. TV Dahlia for thirteen seasons, Caro Hooper. And ex-child star Posy Starling, fresh out of the fame wilderness (and rehab) to take on the Dahlia mantle for the new movie. Each actress has her own interpretation of the character - but this English summer weekend they will have to put aside their differences, as the crimes at Aldermere turns anything but cosy. When fictional death turns into real bodies, can the three Dahlias find the answers to the murders among the fans, the film crew, the family - or even in Lettice's books themselves?

Published 2022; 373 pages.  I really liked it and I'm glad it looks like this is going to be a series. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.


And I finished THE BUTTERCREAM BUMP OFF by Jenn McKinlay. Enjoyable. I gave it 3 out of 5 stars so I liked it.


I'm absolutely shocking myself with my reading. I've finished 14 books this month. 


 

I know it's not sustainable, but I really do want to keep up this pace as much as possible because I have so much to read.

I auditioned a couple other books for my next read but I'll be sticking with another of my "23 in 2023" books, THE BLADE ITSELF by Joe Abercrombie. 1st of The First Law Trilogy. Fantasy.

 


 Logen Ninefingers, infamous barbarian, has finally run out of luck. Caught in one feud too many, he's on the verge of becoming a dead barbarian -- leaving nothing behind him but bad songs, dead friends, and a lot of happy enemies. Nobleman, dashing officer, and paragon of selfishness, Captain Jezal dan Luthar has nothing more dangerous in mind than fleecing his friends at cards and dreaming of glory in the fencing circle. But war is brewing, and on the battlefields of the frozen North they fight by altogether bloodier rules. Inquisitor Glokta, cripple turned torturer, would like nothing better than to see Jezal come home in a box. But then Glokta hates everyone: cutting treason out of the Union one confession at a time leaves little room for friendship. His latest trail of corpses may lead him right to the rotten heart of government, if he can stay alive long enough to follow it. Enter the wizard, Bayaz. A bald old man with a terrible temper and a pathetic assistant, he could be the First of the Magi, he could be a spectacular fraud, but whatever he is, he's about to make the lives of Logen, Jezal, and Glokta a whole lot more difficult. Murderous conspiracies rise to the surface, old scores are ready to be settled, and the line between hero and villain is sharp enough to draw blood.

Published 2015; 515 pages. I'm reading this in physical book format.

Tonight is Monday Sprint night with the cozy mystery group on YouTube. I'll miss half because it starts at 5 but it's nice to tune in. And that's about it. Feed Ryker and Steve, read, and bed.

 

 Have a good day

 


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: