Monday, January 23, 2023

Why did the weekend have to end?

Monday. And, boy, is it Monday.

 


I mostly just read this weekend. I finished the Renee Patrick historical mystery. I liked it more than I thought I would. I gave it four stars and I'll read the next in the series.  

 Looking for something different to read next, i.e., a sci fi book, I read and finished ASTRAY by Jenny Schwartz. 1st of 5 in The Adventures of a Xeno-Archeologist scifi series.

 


Nora Devi is a xeno-archaeologist with a complicated past. She has buried more secrets than she’s dug up. Widowed in the recently ended twelve year war between Capitoline and Palantine, she now makes a living as an independent tagger in border space. Captain Liam Kimani could be credited with ending the latest royal war. Instead, he’s blamed for it. Dirty commoners aren’t meant to lay their hands on royalty. He has no regrets. When Liam and his crew of the battlecruiser RC Genghis Khan are exiled to Capitoline’s border they discover that life in unexplored space can be more dangerous than war, and that their best chance of survival lies with a mysterious, elusive tagger. The only problem is that Nora’s secrets might destroy the precarious stability of the entire Human Sector.

Published 2021; 233 pages. I liked it WAY more than I thought I would on this one, too. I'll definitely be reading this series. 

 


 One of the book YouTubers I watch is very into romances. She recommended this author. I got the book from the Las Vegas library. So currently reading HER HOMETOWN MAN by Shannon Stacey. 1st in Sutton's Place Harlequin Special Edition series.

 

She has many reasons to leave
He’s the best reason to stay
Summoned home by her mother and sisters, novelist Gwen Sutton has made it clear—she’s not staying. She’s returning to her quiet, writerly life as soon as the family brewery is up and running. But when Gwen’s lifelong crush, Case Danforth, offers his help, it’s clear there’s more than just beer brewing! Time is short for Case to convince Gwen that a home with him is where her heart is.

Published 2021; 256 pages. I'm actually liking it. It feels very much like that Hallmark series Chesapeake Shores. 

 Also currently reading OLD SCORES by Will Thomas.9th of 14 in series featuring Cyrus Barker, a Scottish private enquiry agent, and his assistant, Welshman Thomas Llewelyn, in late 19th century London.



 In 1890, the first Japanese diplomatic delegation arrives in London to open an embassy. Cyrus Barker, private enquiry agent and occasional agent for the Foreign Service Office, is enlisted to display his personal Japanese garden to the visiting dignitaries. Later that night, Ambassador Toda is shot and killed in his office and Cyrus Barker is discovered across the street, watching the very same office, in possession of a revolver with one spent cartridge. Arrested by the Special Branch for the crime, Barker is vigorously interrogated and finally released due to the intervention of his assistant, Thomas Llewelyn, and his solicitor. With the London constabulary still convinced of his guilt, Barker is hired by the new Japanese ambassador to find the real murderer.

Published 2017; 281 pages. This one of my "read the next in series" books. I don't know why I let this lapse.

 The coffee shop was cancelled on Saturday which was actually rather nice. Tonight I have another reading sprint to participate in.

 


Have a good day

 


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: