Friday, June 23, 2023

Smell the weekend...


 TGIF

 No big plans for this weekend. It's supposed to be delightfully rainy!

 I've got the coffee shop tomorrow afternoon. I'll be working on crochet. 

 The first July scavenger hunt for the reading group I follow is in a couple weeks. The prompt is "murder in another country". Here's the ones I'm thinking about:

The hard part is choosing and sticking with the read I've chosen. I was thinking of adding a space mystery -- being the ultimate out-of-country setting -- but I don't think they'd get my humor.

I've got a couple of options in mind for that. Both on audio which I AM looking for something to listen to this weekend. 


I haven't decided yet which one. I want to start today at work while doing invoices.

 Looking for a historical mystery for the weekend as well, I think I may try THE SECRET LIFE OF MISS MARY BENNET by Katherine Cowley. 1st of 3 in series featuring Mary Bennet (the middle sister in Pride and Prejudice), involved in intrigue and spying for the British government.

 

Upon the death of her father, Mary Bennet’s life is thrown into turmoil. With no fortune or marriage prospects, Mary must rely on the kindness of her relatives. When a mysterious late-night visit by an unknown relative—a Lady Trafford from Castle Durrington—leads to an extended stay and the chance for an education, Mary gratefully accepts the opportunity. But even as she arrives at the castle, she’s faced with one mystery after another. Who is Lady Trafford really and what is she hiding? Do her secrets and manipulations place the small seaside community at risk of an invasion by Napoleon Bonaparte? Always curious, Mary sets out to discover the truth. But when she discovers the dead body of a would-be thief she outed prior to her father’s funeral, Mary jeopardizes her position at the castle and her family’s good name in her quest for the truth. Never underestimate the observation skills of a woman who hides in the background.

Published 2021; 342 pages. Like SO many, I'm a sucker for a Jane Austen world story. 

I think I may also get going on NETWORK EFFECT by Martha Wells. 5th of 7 in MurderBot Diaries series. 

You know that feeling when you’re at work, and you’ve had enough of people, and then the boss walks in with yet another job that needs to be done right this second or the world will end, but all you want to do is go home and binge your favorite shows? And you're a sentient murder machine programmed for destruction? Congratulations, you're Murderbot.
When Murderbot's human associates (not friends, never friends) are captured and another not-friend from its past requires urgent assistance, Murderbot must choose between inertia and drastic action. Drastic action it is, then.

Published 2020; 350 pages. This is the first full-length novel of this series. The previous four were novellas. I love this series. The seventh book is coming out in a couple months so I need to get caught up.

The usual otherwise.


Have a good weekend


 Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: