Friday, October 16, 2020

Beagle in a bed ... with a duckie


TGIF


Well, we've gone from an expected lovely dark rainy weekend ....

 

....to a possibility of snow now.

 

Not so yay. I'm not going anywhere anyway, no bead class, no shopping. I'm planning on cups of tea, staying cozy, and making some soup tomorrow night.

 


And I have a new episode of the Great British Baking Show to watch tonight. 


I supposed it's inevitable that after reading so much while I was sick, that I would hit a slump. I've tried a handful of books but they just haven't hit the spot. The ones I read during that time were actually rather good. So, I finally decided, fine, read the next book in the fantasy series you really liked even though it is probably too soon.

 I'm starting DIVIDED ALLEGIANCE by Elizabeth Moon. 2nd of The Deed of Paksenarrion trilogy. 


Once a sheepfarmer’s daughter, now a seasoned veteran, Paksenarrion has proven herself a fighter. Years with Duke Phelan’s Company taught her weaponry, discipline, and how to react as part of a military unit. Now, though, Paks feels spurred to a solitary destiny. Against all odds she is accepted as a paladin-candidate by the fellowship of Gird. Years of study will follow, for a paladin must be versed in diplomacy and magic as well as the fighting arts. But before she is fully trained, Paks is called on her first mission: to seek out the fabled stronghold of Luap far to the west. The way is long, the dangers many—and not even the Marshal-General of Gird can say whether glory or ruin awaits.

Published 1998; 322 pages.


And maybe I'll start DUNE: DUKE OF CALADAN by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson. The start of a new trilogy that came out this week. 

 

In the year before Frank Herbert's Dune, pivotal events set the stage for the creation of a legend-Leto Atreides, the Duke of Caladan, and his son Paul, who would be known as Muad'Dib. The web of treachery includes the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood, the evil Baron Harkonnen, and even Emperor Shaddam himself. While Leto tries to raise Paul to be a worthy leader, a deadly new drug from the deep forests of Caladan spreads and kills ... a dark stain on Atreides honor. At the same time, a revolutionary movement seeks to destroy the Corrino empire that has stood for ten thousand years. With increasing desperation, this rebellion turns to acts of unspeakable violence. And one rebel leader will stop at nothing to recruit Leto to their cause. Can Duke Leto survive with his legendary honor-and his family-intact?

  Published 2020; 414 pages.

 

Last night I started to clean out my Kindle books archived on Amazon. Lots of samples that can go away and deciding whether or not I'll actually read a book that's there or not. 

 


And I'll probably binge some Law & Order Criminal Intent or Time Team this weekend, hopefully while playing with beads.


Have a good weekend


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: