Thursday, September 4, 2014

I. Have. To. Sneeze



I'm currently reading THE AMERICAN HEIRESS by Daisy Goodwin. This is a stand alone novel; think Cora in pre-Downton Abbey, as in how she got to Downton Abbey as a young rich American. Here's a description:
Be careful what you wish for. Traveling abroad with her mother at the turn of the twentieth century to seek a titled husband, beautiful, vivacious Cora Cash, whose family mansion in Newport dwarfs the Vanderbilts’, suddenly finds herself Duchess of Wareham, married to Ivo, the most eligible bachelor in England. Nothing is quite as it seems, however: Ivo is withdrawn and secretive, and the English social scene is full of traps and betrayals. Money, Cora soon learns, cannot buy everything, as she must decide what is truly worth the price in her life and her marriage. 
Published 2010; it has 480 pages.  The author can say she isn't doing a Downton Abbey knock off: she published this just before the show premiered even in the UK.And I hope the book gets a little better -- this Cora is rather unlikeable. She KNOWS she's rich and beautiful and quite pleased to be an unaware spoiled little rich girl.

And this is very exciting: I got a free Advance Reading Copy of Charles Finch's new book, THE LAWS OF MURDER which will be released in November. Saved me some money because I had already pre-ordered it. Woot!

A few days ago, I mentioned that the authors over on Jungle Red had a blog post about "perfect things" -- "the things in our lives that we couldn't bear to give up, even if we had too many and/or no longer needed or used them." And I was struggling to think of what I could/would say was my "perfect thing." With the caveat that of course life would go on but.... I came up with chapstick and my beautiful Belleek castle lamp:


I just simply love it. I would fill my house with Belleek if I could afford it. But this is my only piece and I would be heartbroken if anything happened to it. 

For some strange reason, I guess I like lamps. I would love to get some Tiffany lamps as well. But at this time I only have a very small one (Tiffany-like, not a true one) in a peacock pattern.This is the pattern but my lamp is very small, almost like a night light/desktop:



Tonight, is the beginning of the real NFL season. We'll watch the game tonight like a whole lot of America; I'm not guaranteeing I'll stay for the whole game but.... And then on Sunday will be my favorite way to watch the games: a channel called NFL Red Zone. It covers ALL the games going on and jumps from game to game, only showing the exciting bits. Short attention span theatre for football and I like it.

Much love, 
PK the Bookeemonster 

No comments: