Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Why we don't put up a tree; Coda would do this.




I'm obsessing. On Youtube.com, there's a performance of Jesus Christ Superstar that I am watching over and over and over. First, if you know me, JCS is my all time, hands-down, no question about it favorite all time musical, ever since I saw a production when I was young. This is a performance I came across was from 2005 in Amstetten, Austria (yes, in English). The actor playing Jesus is horrible, doesn't have the vocals to do much of anything. The actress playing Mary Magdalen is shrill and likes to make up her own tunes along the way. The performance by Herod is truly embarrassing. But the guy playing Judas? OMG, he is PERFECTION, and I don't say it lightly. Holy freakin' moley. Drew Sarich. The best I have ever seen or heard. The guy sings amazingly and the emotions he exudes.... just wow. Youtube won't let me embed a clip but go to this page and you can see his performance of Jesus Christ Superstar, the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYcOryjkJVE

Here's the whole show if you have the time (I skip the bad songs, i.e., Jesus, Mary Magdalen, Herod). The actor doing Pilate is very good, too, surprisingly. The Judas death scene is also just amazing. But go to 1:27:47 if you just want to watch the Jesus Christ Superstar performance:




I am just gobsmacked and wish I had a time machine to go see all performances of this that they did. Drew Sarich has also sung the Jesus in a later production and sings like an angel but the staging is strange, more like a concert version. Oh what the heck, listen to him do Gethsemane:






On a more mundane matter, I took my vacuum in to be cleaned because it just wasn't doing the best it could and I'm told because they don't have Dyson parts in, it will be a week or two. Really? Bah.

I'm hoping Steve's Christmas present arrives in time. I have one gift for him but I realized it probably didn't have enough oomph by itself so yesterday I picked out something else to go with it but it's through a third party via Amazon so my fingers are crossed. Sigh.

I spent last night pretty much watching the above mentioned musical on the computer last night. Maybe tonight this obsession will let me do some reading. Sometimes I just have to ride it out.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster 

No comments: