Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Happy Hallow 'een




Samhain is a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter or the "darker half" of the year. Traditionally, it is celebrated from 31 October to 1 November, as the Celtic day began and ended at sunset. This is about halfway between the autumn equinox and the winter solstice.



In the eighth century, Pope Gregory III designated November 1 as a time to honor all saints and martyrs; the holiday, All Saints’ Day, incorporated some of the traditions of Samhain. The evening before was known as All Hallows’ Eve and later Halloween.




We'll see how many kids we get tonight with trick-or-treating. I'm not expecting many.  I didn't dress up this year, though I am wearing my Samhain shirt.



Tonight on TV I have This Is Us, "The 20's":

Trick-or-treating with the 10 year olds goes awry for Jack and Rebecca; and Randall, Kevin and Kate have life-changing Halloweens..

Otherwise, it would be nice to get some reading in. Get some sleep in. Dinner? I dunno.



Have a lovely, safe day



Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: