Tuesday, September 21, 2021

NEVER find me here!


 Tuesday. It's only Tuesday?

 


 Well, once again not much going on. Mid-week so nothing spectacular. Dinner, reading, bed.

 

 

Doing a re-read of WITCH'S BANE by Susan Wittig Albert. 2nd of 28 in series featuring China Bayles, an herbalist and former attorney, in Pecan Springs, Texas


Halloween is supposed to be scary—but the holiday hijinks in Pecan Springs are hardly your everyday kids’ pranks. Rumors of devil worship are rampant in Pecan Springs following the probable suicide of a teenager and the unexpected deaths of a transient and a nursing home resident. The general creepiness increases when the Reverend Billy Lee Harbuck begins picketing the Crystal Cave, claiming that China Bayles’ friend Ruby Wilcox is a practicing witch. And the tension hits its peak when wealthy Sybil Rand, notorious for maintaining a garden of poisonous plants, is found murdered–with Ruby’s knife.

 Published 1993; 272 pages. How I came to be re-reading it is interesting. Of course, I read this when it first came out, I believe. And as a side note, reading a book from 1993 is amusing for how dated it now seems. I have wanted to maybe re-read this series for the herbal info but books 1-4 in the series aren't available in Kindle format. Books 1-8 aren't available in audiobook form on audible.com. However, in my subdivision there is a  "little free library" -- one of those neighborhood book exchanges. Looks something like this (though not the one in my subdivision)

 


 One day I took Ryker on a slightly different route and finally walked by the box that I drove by every day but never stopped. But you can stop when you're walking at 5:30 in the morning. And it had book 2 of the series. I didn't start to read it until recently since I usually read my Kindle, but I was cleaning an area that had had some liquid spilled and the book had been damaged irreparably. So I'm reading it as is, tearing off pages as I go. The real issue for me is that I've gotten used to the Kindle being self lit. Ya gotta have light to read a book book. 


I'm almost done with it. It goes quickly. Maybe tonight. And I'm at 70 something percent on the hugemongous Robert Jordan.

Have a good day

 


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster 

No comments: