Monday, December 31, 2018

Indeed


Nothing much on TV tonight of course. However I have a tradition of watching Casablanca on this night.


Today is also known in Scotland as Hogmanay.


I probably won't be staying up until midnight to ring in the new year...



  ...but I will be waking up at midnight because of the inevitable fireworks and scared-by-the-noise dog.


Thank goodness we have tomorrow off because I will be a tired and cranky person.


I haven't made my list of Tops or Bottoms books of 2018 yet nor have I decided on my reading challenge for 2019. I do however, pay very close attention to the first book finished in the new year for some reason like it's an indicator of the year to come. And yes, I plan this out so it's not willy nilly. 


I think I'll be starting tonight and finishing YEAR OF THE MAD KING by Antony Sher.

In 1982, rising actor and recent Royal Shakespeare Company arrival Antony Sher played the Fool to Michael Gambon's King in the RSC's production of King Lear. Shortly after, he came back to Stratford to play Richard III -- a breakthrough performance that would transform his career, winning him the Laurence Olivier, Evening Standard and Critics' Circle Theatre Awards for Best Actor. Sher's record of the making of this historic theatrical event, Year of the King, has become a classic of theatre writing, a unique insight into the creation of a landmark Shakespearean performance. More than thirty years later, Antony Sher returned to Lear, this time in the title role, for the 2016 RSC production directed by Gregory Doran. Sher's performance was acclaimed by the Telegraph as "a crowning achievement in a major career," and the show transferred from Stratford to London's Barbican. Once again, he kept a diary, capturing every step of his personal and creative journey to opening night.
Published 2018; 208 pages. I've really enjoyed his other two books similar to this when he played Richard III and Falstaff. I'm still reading the Gabaldon book but I'm only at about halfway done.



Have a good day




Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: