Monday, August 12, 2019

Puppy tells the truth



Over the weekend I read WHAT YOU DID by Claire McGowan. Stand alone.

It was supposed to be the perfect reunion: six university friends together again after twenty years. Host Ali finally has the life she always wanted, a career she can be proud of and a wonderful family with her college boyfriend, now husband. But that night her best friend makes an accusation so shocking that nothing will ever be the same again. When Karen staggers in from the garden, bleeding and traumatised, she claims that she has been assaulted—by Ali’s husband, Mike. Ali must make a split-second decision: who should she believe? Her horrified husband, or her best friend? With Mike offering a very different version of events, Ali knows one of them is lying—but which? And why? When the ensuing chaos forces her to re-examine the golden era the group shared at university, Ali realises there are darker memories too. Memories that have lain dormant for decades. Memories someone would kill to protect.
  Published 2019; 278 pages. This book caught my attention because it sort of felt like The Big Chill set in the UK with a crime. But it rather turned into a woman's really really really bad week like ridiculous bad that you just had to keep reading about her train wreck week. And a huge pet peeve of mine in a book is a dithering protagonist. Ali's "head spun" or "just couldn't grasp what was happening" or "things were happening so fast she couldn't understand it all" WAY too much. And then the ending was wrapped up in an epilogue. So I read the whole thing but I wasn't impressed.

Currently reading THE NAME OF THE WIND by Patrick Rothfuss. 1st of The Kingkiller Chronicle fantasy series. 


My name is Kvothe.
I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.
You may have heard of me.

Kvothe  is a world-renowned figure of mystery with a disreputable reputation - a hero or a demon depending on which stories you hear. The real man has hidden himself away at an inn in the middle of nowhere with his apprentice Bast - we know not why - and it's not until the Chronicler discovers him there that he shows any interest in reliving his past life. Insisting that his story will take three days to tell, and that the famous chronicler must write it down exactly as he tells it, he begins to share his story.


Published 2007; 676 pages. Digital loan from the library so it jumped the queue.


I didn't do a lot of beading this weekend. I didn't finish the ombre necklace even though I'm just about done. I did, however, start the Tumbling Block bracelet




I'm doing apple green rather than the gold here. I just wanted to do something different for a bit.

Nothing on TV tonight. I'll probably bead and/or read. The library loan is for two weeks and it's a big book. And I really need to get some beading projects done.


Or, being a Monday, just go to bed.



Have a good day



Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: