Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Stuck at work .... again


A wonderful, dark, drizzly day. Spent at work. 

We have yet another mouse. Huge sigh. I'm thinking the first mouse put out an ad to all the other mice that there was great food and warm shelter at our place. This means war.

I'm currently reading ISIS: INSIDE THE ARMY OF TERROR by Michael Weiss and Hassan Hassan. Here's a description:
Initially dismissed by US President Barack Obama, along with other fledgling terrorist groups, as a “jayvee squad” compared to al-Qaeda, the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) has shocked the world by conquering massive territories in both countries and promising to create a vast new Muslim caliphate that observes the strict dictates of Sharia law.  In ISIS: Inside the Army of Terror, American journalist Michael Weiss and Syrian analyst Hassan Hassan explain how these violent extremists evolved from a nearly defeated Iraqi insurgent group into a jihadi army of international volunteers who behead Western hostages in slickly produced videos and have conquered territory equal to the size of Great Britain. Beginning with the early days of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, the founder of ISIS’s first incarnation as “al-Qaeda in Iraq,” Weiss and Hassan explain who the key players are—from their elusive leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi to the former Saddam Baathists in their ranks—where they come from, how the movement has attracted both local and global support, and where their financing comes from. Political and military maneuvering by the United States, Iraq, Iran, and Syria have all fueled ISIS’s astonishing and explosive expansion. Drawing on original interviews with former US military officials and current ISIS fighters, the authors also reveal the internecine struggles within the movement itself, as well as ISIS’s bloody hatred of Shiite Muslims, which is generating another sectarian war in the region. Just like the one the US thought it had stopped in 2011 in Iraq. Past is prologue and America’s legacy in the Middle East is sowing a new generation of terror.

Published in 2015, it has 290 pages. This is a digital loan.

I hope to be starting soon, THE REVOLUTION OF IVY by Amy Engel. This is second of a dystopian trilogy. Here's a description:
Beyond the fence. I am still alive. Barely.
My name is Ivy Westfall. I am sixteen years old and a traitor. Three months ago, I was forced to marry the president's son, Bishop Lattimer-as all daughters of the losing side of the war are sold off in marriage to the sons of the winners. But I was different. I had a mission-to kill Bishop. Instead, I fell in love with him. Now I am an outcast, left to survive the brutal savagery of the lands outside of civilization. Yet even out here, there is hope. There is life beyond the fence. But I can't outrun my past. For my actions have set off a treasonous chain of events in Westfall that will change all of our fates-especially Bishop's. And this time, it is not enough to just survive...

Published 2015, it has 400 pages.

Tonight I have Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.


"Among Us Hide": The stakes get higher as Hunter and May continue to chase Ward and Hydra, and Daisy and Coulson suspect an ATCU is keeping a big secret from S.H.I.E.L.D.


Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: