Tuesday, June 21, 2016

I got it! I got it! I don't got it.


Currently reading I'M OFF THEN by Hape Kerkeling


The 500-mile route along the Camino Frances, from the base of the Pyrenees to the shrine of St. James at Santiago de Compostela in northwestern Spain, has afforded a sacred pilgrimage to Christians for centuries, and German comedian Kerkeling, somewhat whimsically, resolved to hike it. At 36, a self-described pudgy couch potato who suffered some health problems, Kerkeling, wanting to know who God is, set out along the route in the summer of 2001 with an overheavy knapsack only to nearly give up at the first pass. There are nearly 40 stops along the way, Kerkeling chronicles nearly every one. Pilgrims must get their credencial del peregrino (passport) stamped at official hostels, usually dreary bunk-packed dorms, as they go, but Kerkeling, a fastidious German craving privacy and hot baths, mostly chooses to stay in hotels. As well, he jumped into cars and trains whenever his feet were smarting. Encounters with other pilgrims enliven this travel account, especially the two English-speaking ladies who accompanied him toward the end; as they approached Santiago, they all felt emotionally uplifted.

Published 2009, it has 353 pages.  A best-seller in Germany where he is apparently a well-known comedian. Another Camino biography.

I'll figure out the fiction one I'm reading pretty soon.



Eh. That's all I got today. It's going to be in the mid-90s today, probably 100. Coda is home all day for the first time since his illness so I'm hoping that goes ok. Steve is better but not all the way as I predicted. I'm hoping to read tonight.

Off you go. Stay cool.



Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: