Monday, March 18, 2024

I remember the weekend ....


Monday

Over the weekend I read AN ACE AND A PAIR by Blake Banner. 1st of 30 in police Dead Cold police procedural series. 


Detective John Stone of the NYPD has the best arrest record in the 43rd precinct. But he’s a dinosaur who belongs to another age. Detective Carmen Dehan has such a bad attitude that nobody at the precinct can stomach her. Captain Jennifer Cuevas wants them both out of the way and thinks they make a perfect pair. So she gives them the Cold Cases file – the cases nobody gives a damn about. She has no idea just how hot a cold case can get. Ten years back Nelson Hernandez and his four cousins were playing poker in a dive at Hunts Point. Somebody came in, blew them away and beheaded and castrated Nelson, leaving his head and his balls on the table. There was no shortage of suspects, the Jersey Mob, the Triads from Manhattan, or the 43rds own bent cop, Mick Harragan. But nobody was ever charged, and the night of the murder Mick Harragan went missing with Nelson’s wife, Maria. Now Stone and Dehan plan to find him – whatever the consequences…

Published 2017; 207 pages. I gave it 4 stars. I was in the mood for a procedural after binging on The Rookie so much and this was Kindle Unlimited and really a good read actually. Layered in the crime solving and it was about cold cases, which I love. 

I also DNF'd a few things: THE ANTIQUE HUNTER'S GUIDE TO MURDER by C.L. Miller. The idea and the characters were interesting but the structure and writing were clunky so I didn't care anymore. 

And I DNF'd ONCE PERSUADED, TWICE SHY by Melodie Edwards. It's a modern PERSUASION retelling that had promise, but once again, I didn't care. I love love love the original story and just wasn't in the mood for a retelling. 

I made the corned beef and cabbage on Saturday and it was ... edible. We didn't have the bangers and mash yesterday because we were feeling under the weather and just had easy food. 

No sprints tonight. I need to find my next read. I'd like to crochet and read and go to bed. 

Have a good day

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: