Tuesday, May 29, 2018

The Monday-est Tuesday ever



The slump is over!


I started a book, I read it, and I finished it.



A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES. Fanstasy. The template of it was very Beauty and the Beast which may be why I kept with it.


Then I got on a roll. I started and finished A SYMPHONY OF ECHOES by Jodi Taylor. 2nd of 9 in the Chronicles of St. Mary's time travel series.

At the beginning of the book, Max, now a seasoned and trained Historian, manages to accidentally bring Jack the Ripper back from Victorian London (he really is a monster)  and goes back to Scotland where she needs to ensure the marriage of Mary, Queen of Scots, to Bothwell to preserve history. One of the very best sections of the book involves a Dodo hunt, which is both amazing and hilarious. But they must also confront an enemy intent on destroying St Mary's - an enemy willing, if necessary, to destroy History itself to do it.

Published in 2016, 240 pages. Very British humor and I love it.

I binged a fantastic Amazon Original series, Absentia.

After six years of assuming FBI Agent Emily Byrne was a possible victim of serial killer, she is miraculously returned to her family. Emily, however, has to struggle with the mysteries of her captivity and the fact that everyone has moved on without her. Emily's alleged serial killer, Conrad Harlow, is being released from jail, and Emily has not come close to solving the mystery of her kidnapping and time in captivity. As Emily struggles to return to normal life, a witness turns up and reinforces the suspicions of Emily. Emily denies the suspicions and is sure the witness is lying and was forced into making a false statement.
I love the trope of a cop/FBI coming back from being abducted and having to assimilate back. More on that in a minute. This is a 10-episode series that I consumed in 24 hours; there were fabulous twists that reminded me of Broadchurch and made me question who-dunnit multiple times.


So then I remembered that the second of a book I read a couple years ago will be coming out in a couple weeks that had the same trope. I couldn't remember some of the details so re-read the first book. THE BODY READER by Anne Frasier. 1st of 2 in series featuring Jude Fontaine, a homicide detective who had been held captive in an underground cell for three years, in Minneapolis.

For three years, Detective Jude Fontaine was kept from the outside world. Held in an underground cell, her only contact was with her sadistic captor, and reading his face was her entire existence. Learning his every line, every movement, and every flicker of thought is what kept her alive. After her experience with isolation and torture, she is left with a fierce desire for justice—and a heightened ability to interpret the body language of both the living and the dead. Despite colleagues’ doubts about her mental state, she resumes her role at Homicide. Her new partner, Detective Uriah Ashby, doesn’t trust her sanity, and he has a story of his own he’d rather keep hidden. But a killer is on the loose, murdering young women, so the detectives have no choice: they must work together to catch the madman before he strikes again. And no one knows madmen like Jude Fontaine.
Published in 2016; 302 pages. 


Then I just skim finished a couple other books that I had been struggling with over the last month. Just to be done at last.

I don't know what's next to read.




Have a great day



Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: