Friday, May 12, 2023

End of work week -- older, wiser, ready for a nap


 TGIF

 I finished ESPRESSO last night. Three stars. It was likeable, but had a lot of repetition, the mystery solving was light for a mystery book, and the long-awaited romance was at times cheesy-goofy. I'm hoping it was just third-book slump.


 I'm going to be starting a new one. It's from the library that just came available to me. It would count for the scavenger hunt next weekend for bakery/sweet shop and it would count for Middle-Grade May. I'll try it. A WIZARD'S GUIDE TO DEFENSIVE BAKING by T. Kingfisher. Stand alone.


 Fourteen-year-old Mona isn’t like the wizards charged with defending the city. She can’t control lightning or speak to water. Her familiar is a sourdough starter and her magic only works on bread. She has a comfortable life in her aunt’s bakery making gingerbread men dance. But Mona’s life is turned upside down when she finds a dead body on the bakery floor. An assassin is stalking the streets of Mona’s city, preying on magic folk, and it appears that Mona is his next target. And in an embattled city suddenly bereft of wizards, the assassin may be the least of Mona’s worries…

Published 2020; 320 pages. 

This one also came up from a library hold. I don't know if I'm in the mood for it now.

What I should do is finish the David Weber sci fi that's been languishing at 61% done. I've started that Ashley Gardner. And I have many many many on my near-ish TBR. Maybe a romance? Next in a historical mystery series?


 I probably need to go the coffee shop tomorrow since it hasn't been canceled. I haven't been to bead group in like two or three weeks. I'm kinda playing with the idea of leaving Keo home to see how that goes but I don't know yet. No other plans for the weekend. Watch some YouTube book vloggers. Related but also not related, I signed up for a crochet kit - three blocks of an afghan a month for beginners with video instructions - that showed up yesterday so I may check that out this weekend. I haven't been beading, been feeling "meh" about it in general while other things pop up a little stronger. Another is kind of one I've made up based on the bible verse mapping journals. I'd like to do that for a different project and that is supposed to show up today. But otherwise, I'm just going to read - I've got sprints tonight and on Sunday afternoon (scavenger hunt "blue on cover"). Nap for sure. Drink some tea or coffee because tomorrow may be another cool/rainy day. Maybe clean (really should, but will I?). The usual.

Have a good weekend

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: