Thursday, May 18, 2023

When I woke up, I hoped it was Friday

 

 Thursday

 I finished the Cervantes book last night ...


I rated it low 3 ⭐️  and maybe even a 2. A very promising start that fizzled in the last half. I like magic realism stories. I like romances. I don't think that I have unnecessarily high expectations from a read, but the miscommunication because of control issues in this story was on an epic scale compounded by Millennial self-absorbed idiocy. Harsh, I know, but that really was the feeling I got from it. I really wanted it to be a great read. I was rooting for it and after about half way, it dropped like an anvil. That I liked it so much in the beginning raised it up from less than a 3. Disappointed. I so need to read a sure thing next.

NETWORK EFFECTS by Martha Wells. 5th of 7 in Murderbot sci fi series.

 


 You know that feeling when you’re at work, and you’ve had enough of people, and then the boss walks in with yet another job that needs to be done right this second or the world will end, but all you want to do is go home and binge your favorite shows? And you're a sentient murder machine programmed for destruction? Congratulations, you're Murderbot. When Murderbot's human associates (not friends, never friends) are captured and another not-friend from its past requires urgent assistance, Murderbot must choose between inertia and drastic action. Drastic action it is, then.

Published 2020; 350 pages. I love Murderbot.

I couldn't sleep in the middle of the night so I finished the main block of the first square of the crochet afghan. I need to do the border around it and then start the second block.

The usual things this evening. The smoke is just awful outside coming from Canada. Messing with my allergies pretty badly. It's too early for this and bodes not well for summer.

 Have a good day


 Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: