Friday, May 19, 2023

Weekend escape hatch

 TGIF

 Listening to the audiobook of THE BODY IN THE LIBRARY by Agatha Christie.

 It’s seven in the morning. The Bantrys wake to find the body of a young woman in their library. She is wearing evening dress and heavy make-up, which is now smeared across her cheeks. But who is she? How did she get there? And what is the connection with another dead girl, whose charred remains are later discovered in an abandoned quarry? The respectable Bantrys invite Miss Marple to solve the mystery… before tongues start to wag.

Published 1942; 191 pages.Why this book and why now? A book YouTuber I watch from the UK occasionally films himself trying solve an Agatha Christie crime before the sleuth does at the end of the book and it's quite enjoyable. Gavin is doing this particular book this weekend - the first half this afternoon, the second half tomorrow morning, and the final reveal tomorrow afternoon I think (our time, not UK time). I found the audiobook for free on YouTube so hopefully I'll listen to it today while working. I've not read this one before. I don't think I've read a Miss Marple book at all. I've always preferred Hercule Poirot.

And in the category of the best laid plans of a mood reader .... I was going to read the Martha Wells I mentioned yesterday but I couldn't concentrate last night.  


So I was looking around on my Kindle at book covers (see the next section why) and I wound up starting this one. I got it sometime last year, I believe because I fell in love the cover - all the covers in this series are beautiful.

A MURDER IN TIME by Julie McElwain. 1st of 5 in series (paranormal mystery, i.e., time travel).

Kendra Donovan is a rising star at the FBI. Yet her path to professional success hits a speed bump during a disastrous raid where half her team is murdered, a mole in the FBI is uncovered and she herself is severely wounded. As soon as she recovers, she goes rogue and travels to England to assassinate the man responsible for the deaths of her teammates. While fleeing from an unexpected assassin herself, Kendra escapes into a stairwell that promises sanctuary but when she stumbles out again, she is in the same place - Aldrich Castle - but in a different time: 1815, to be exact. Mistaken for a lady's maid hired to help with weekend guests, Kendra is forced to quickly adapt to the time period until she can figure out how she got there; and, more importantly, how to get back home. However, after the body of a girl is found on the extensive grounds of the county estate, she starts to feel there's some purpose to her bizarre circumstances. Stripped of her twenty-first century tools, Kendra must use her wits alone in order to unmask a cunning madman.

Published 2016; 498 pages.

On Sunday I'll be starting another 1000 Page Challenge hosted again by Sarah the Bookish Knitter. One can read whatever they wish of course but she's provided the prompt of "Spring" if one needed help or guidance. If I used that prompt, these are some possible reads that have been on my TBR for a bit.

(346 pages)
 
(408 pages)

(640 pages)

These look "Spring-ish" to me. I'm going completely by A) things in my TBR and B) the cover itself and C) no I didn't look for fairy tale retelling books, that's just how the covers happened. And overall, I may have an entirely different mood by next week and go with something completely different.


Really, my only goal with doing these page challenges is to read consistently each evening. This is a helpful nudge.

 

I'll be going to the coffee shop tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll leave Keo home with Steve again to give them some alone time together. I figure Keo will mostly lie out on the deck if it's sunny.

Uh oh, I just received a library notification of a hold. This may have to jump the queue

 PLAY THE FOOL by Lina Chern. Debut.


 For Katie True, a keen gut and quick wit are just tools of the trade. After a failed attempt at adulting in Chicago, she's back in the suburbs living a bit too close to her overbearing parents, jumping from one dead-end job to the next, and flipping through her tarot deck for guidance. Then along comes Marley. Mysterious, worldly, and comfortable in her own skin, Marley takes a job at the mall where Katie peddles Russian tchotchkes. The two just get each other. Marley doesn't try to fix Katie's life or pretend to be someone she's not, and Katie thinks that with Marley's friendship she just might make it through this rough patch after all. So one day, having been encouraged by Marley to practice soothsaying, Katie reads tarot for someone who stumbles into her shop. But when she sneaks a glance at his phone, she finds more than just clairvoyant intel. She finds a photo. Of Marley. With a gunshot wound to the head. The bottom falls out of Katie's world. Her best friend is dead? Who killed her? She quickly realizes there are some things her tarot cards can't foresee, and she must put her razor-sharp instincts to the ultimate test. But the truth has deadly consequences, and Katie's recklessness lands her in the crossfire of a threat she never saw coming. Now Katie must use her street smarts and her inner Strength card to solve Marley's murder--or risk losing everything.

Published 2023; 320 pages. So this may be my weekend read and the McElwain becomes part of the page challenge. Someone during a reading sprint mentioned this so I thought I'd check it out.

I finished the first block last night on the afghan. Seriously, I think I may want to do it over. There's some mistakes that could be ignored but I want to do this right and build a good foundation for future crocheting. 

 

Otherwise, the usual stuff and glad for two days away.

Have a good weekend.

Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: