Tuesday, January 5, 2016

After TWO three-day weekends...


And here we are.


But I think I should go home, I think I hear my dogs calling me ....

On Kindle, currently reading COLD SHOT by Mark Henshaw. This is 2nd of 3 in series featuring Kyra Stryker and Jonathan Burke, working in the Red Cell, the CIA’s out-of-the-box think tank, in Langley, Virginia.
The USS Vicksburg is returning home when the crew comes upon a lifeboat bearing a dead Somali pirate who shows signs of torture. Questions immediately arise: Who is this man, and which ship did he come from? Who tortured him? Soon Red Cell analysts Kyra Stryker and Jonathan Burke have traced the dead man back to an Iranian ship currently bound for Venezuela—and the ship appears to have dangerous, radioactive cargo on board. The Iranians’ plan quickly becomes clear—they’re building a nuclear bomb in politically unstable Venezuela, away from the UN’s prying eyes. Stryker and Burke must tread carefully, though, because diplomacy in Venezuela is tricky at best. A civil war is at stake if word gets out. Can they stop the Iranians before it’s too late?

Published in 2014, it has 416 pages. Very timely topic if you're following the news at all. Henshaw's first book involved China. His new one out in March is about Russia. I'd say this guy is the new Tom Clancy for having his finger on the pulse of current events. With good cause: he's an active-duty CIA intelligence analyst with fifteen years of service. He is the recipient of eighteen (18) Exceptional Performance Awards and the Director of National Intelligence's 2007 Galileo Award for innovation in intelligence analysis.

A couple of shows on tonight. I didn't get a chance to watch anymore of Dig and maybe not again tonight which bothers me. Bah.

It's supposed to be super cold again this weekend -- highs in the teens.




Well, I've stated before that I place bigger emphasis on the first book read of the year. Between the two that I'm reading, whichever one I finish first ... won't matter because they're both excellent!


Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: