Monday, October 12, 2009

Show Monday who's da boss


I'm currently reading NINE DRAGONS by Michael Connelly. This is 14th of 14 in series featuring Harry Bosch, a homicide detective in Los Angeles. Here's a description:


Fortune Liquors is a small shop in a tough South L.A. neighborhood, a store Bosch has known for years. The murder of John Li, the store's owner, hits Bosch hard, and he promises Li's family that he'll find the killer. The world Bosch steps into next is unknown territory. He brings in a detective from the Asian Gang Unit for help with translation--not just of languages but also of the cultural norms and expectations that guided Li's life. He uncovers a link to a Hong Kong triad, a lethal and far-reaching crime ring that follows many immigrants to their new lives in the U.S. And instantly his world explodes. The one good thing in Bosch's life, the person he holds most dear, is taken from him and Bosch travels to Hong Kong in an all-or-nothing bid to regain what he's lost. In a place known as Nine Dragons, as the city's Hungry Ghosts festival burns around him, Bosch puts aside everything he knows and risks everything he has in a desperate bid to outmatch the triad's ferocity.


It was just published and has 384 pages. I always like Connelly's writing -- it just flows -- but the plot just possibly took a turn into becoming the movie Taken. We'll see how it goes from here.


I had to get some groceries today (Walmart was wiped out from the weekend, plus they're not carrying much of the stuff they used to, which is irritating) and I vacuumed upstairs, did a load of laundry and walked Tug. For some reason, the temperatures outside stayed below 30 but the mud defroze making walking not so fun again. What a bother.


Tonight on tv I've got Lie to Me (yay!) and the O'Reilly Factor. Tomorrow I have an interview in the afternoon and I should gas the car. Nuttin' else going on I guess. Hope to spend some time reading later on. Gotta go preheat the oven for lasagna for dinner (num!) I dunno, as a "last dinner" kinda request, I'd have a toss up between spaghetti, lasagna or pizza. Heck, if it really was my last meal -- and I knew it -- I'd have all three. Oh and Olive Garden salad and bread sticks. My Norwegian ancestry took a turn for warmer climates and Italian taste buds.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

1 comment:

Sophie Littlefield said...

PK, could you email me please at sophie@sophielittlefield.com? Thanks - you are the winner of the September raffle at Criminal Minds
- sophie