Friday, October 16, 2009

A very good day -- Friday!


Still reading WOLF HALL. It will be slow going, being rather dense in its writing. I can also see why it won a literary prize (Booker) because it is not really in "storytelling" form. Hard to describe.


I've had a great day. I ran a couple errands and then went to the Friends of the Library sale. I was considering not going at all this year because I have so much backlog of things I need to read it's ridiculous and I'm trying to pare down what I do have but ... a book addict cannot resist the call of a book sale because there may be treasures there. I spent about two and a half hours there all told I think and I still didn't look at everything. I wasn't concentrating so much on fiction -- I've learned from many book sales past that a) the selection is really picked over throughout the year b) a lot of the books are rehashes over and over and c) it is pretty much junk but ya never know and d) my taste is more of the B list of authors that aren't readily available. I actually got off pretty lightly this year, dollar-wise. Only $20. My finds this year were mostly in history books. I love American Revolution history, Tudor period England, medieval England, current events. The sale was trying to unload this section of books and were letting them go for three for a dollar. In fiction, eh, a couple Rex Stouts; four cds ... that's about it. Records (vinyl) have usually been my downfall but I didn't even look at 'em. Even if I don't find treasure, I just have a most excellent time spending time there. Almost like doing a Snoopy dance. :)


I got home after that and stopping for some groceries and had to walk Tug right away. Oy, my legs and feet hurt! You'd think by now they'd be fully recovered from this summer but they do not like long periods of standing/walking.


So tonight on tv I've got an episode of Say Yes to the Dress and maybe I'll catch the new series from Discovery, Lobstermen -- sort of like Deadliest Catch only, um, lobster.


It was warm today, in the 60s and people have been out mowing. And school has been for some reason yesterday and today so there's been kids around the neighborhood. I'm ready for cold and dark, hunkering down with books and warm making-tummy-happy stuff. Sigh.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: