Saturday, August 21, 2010

I don't even want to know about the Romance section



[from Weekly Geeks]:




P.A.B.D. I know many bookworms who are faced with the same problem. Please read on to see if you have PABD and see how you can help yourself or others suffering from this disorder.




So what is P.A.B.D.?


Post Amazing Book Depression - The over-whelming sad feeling one gets after finishing a great book.




Signs of P.A.B.D.


missing characters


*often includes talking about characters in day to day life -------


ex. I wonder what Katsa and Po are doing.-------


ex. Do you think Cat and Bones will get married?-------


ex. If she doesn't choose Eric, I don't know how I'll survive.




* constant rereading of the same book


* extreme cases can lead to the reading of fan-fiction
*lack of interest in other books


* finding yourself staring at your bookshelf and seeing nothing worth reading


* wandering around the bookstore/library picking up and putting back books




How to live with P.A.B.P.


Find other books by the same author.


* Is there more in the series?


Search for books with similar themes.


* Thanks to the hard work some dedicated book lovers, you can find sites that help you find books similar to those you love.


* Use Amazon to see what others are buying that liked the book.


Have a rebound book.


* Keep a favorite book on hand to immerse yourself in.


Force a friend to read the book


* This will give you a chance to experience reading the book through someone else.


* You will then have someone to endlessly discuss the book with.




*****************************************


I may have had a touch of this after I read THE PASSAGE. When I wasn't reading it, I was thinking about it. I came this close to buying a copy for my sister so we could talk about it. Now I'm in anticipation of the next book but it won't be released until 2012.




I think an extreme version of this is behind the obsession with Jane Austen's books. There are SOOOO many published books out there using Austen's characters that readers can get their "fix". It's probably why so many have been written at all.




There may be an offshoot of this syndrome:


AABA -- Anticipatory Amazing Book Anxiety: the excitement that a book addict will get for a new release coming out.




Symptoms


* Having the release date circled on your calendar


* Being extremely disappointed if the release date gets pushed back


* paying extra shipping to receive it in 1-2 days


* paying full price at a local book store




I'm definitely that way about some authors: CJ Sansom has a new one (FINALLY) coming out next month. The final book of the bridal quartet by Nora Roberts has more than one person hyperventilating. And I must buy the new JD Robb book the day the come out. I have even sometimes driven home at lunch to check the mail when I'm expecting a book. That's pretty bad.




Much love,


PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: