Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Teaser Tuesday


Teaser Tuesday!


The month is almost over so I thought I'd share the books that I'm looking forward to next month.


First and foremost and already being dispatched to me from the UK ... and about freaking time! ...


HEARTSTONE by CJ Sansom!!!! To say that I'm experiencing AABA (see previous posts) is an understatement. I can barely contain myself. This is 5th of 5 in series featuring Matthew Shardlake, a lawyer in mid-16th century England.


A WOMAN OF CONSEQUENCE by Anna Dean. Also from the UK and the release date I have is September 1st but I've received no word yet from bookdepository.com. This is 3rd of 3 in series featuring Miss Dido Kent, a 35-year-old amateur sleuth, starting in 1805 Regency England.


DEXTER IS DELICIOUS by Jeff Lindsay. (7th) This is 5th of 5 in series featuring Dexter Morgan, a blood spatter technician for Miami Dade Police Department, and sociopathic serial killer in Florida. The first couple of this series were terrific but the last couple didn't have the magic somehow. Maybe because the writer is focusing on the tv show.


BURY YOUR DEAD by Louise Penny. (28th) This is 6th of 6 in series featuring Armand Gamache, Chief Inspector of the Sûreté du Québec, in the village of Three Pines, in southern Quebec, Canada. I've still to read the 5th book but I really like this series -- a classic mystery.


ON THE LINE by SJ Rozan. (28th) This is 10th of 10 in series featuring Lydia Chin, a 30-something Chinese American private eye, and Bill Smith, a 40-something Army brat private eye in New York City. This is a Bill book.


I've also got coming from the UK:

SACRED TREASON by James Forrester. It's the start of a new historical mystery series set in Tudor England and has been compared to CJ Sansom.


It's going to get super hot again the next couple days. I'm taking tomorrow off again to finish up my newsletter and do a couple other errands.


I finished listening to the audiobook of STORM FRONT by Jim Butcher. This is first in a series of 13 in series featuring Harry Dresden, the only wizard listed in the yellow pages in Chicago. The audiobook reader, actor James Marsters, was fantastic, simply perfect for the voice of Harry and did rather well doing the change in his voice for the other characters. I'm so enamoured of how well it was done that I've made copies of his other books for me to listen to down the road. Here's a description of the story:




Harry gets what he believes to be a stroke of luck - a woman whose husband has disappeared wants to hire Harry to find him AND his friend Lieutenant Karrin Murphy with Special Investigations in the Chicago PD calls Harry in to consult on a murder case. Two paying jobs in one day has Harry thinking that things are looking up, but in truth, Harry's trouble is only just beginning. The murder scene Murphy shows to Harry has him feeling distinctly nervous. Someone very powerful has used Black Magic to murder two people in a violent and horrifying way, and the only way Harry can help Murphy is to figure out the spell the killer used. Not a good idea when Harry is already under the Doom of Damocles, a kind of magic probation, from the all-powerful White Council, whose job it is to ensure that those who abuse magic are dealt with swiftly and permanently. Morgan, the White Council representative monitoring Harry, would just love to nail him for messing with Black Magic. And Morgan and the White Council aren't Harry's only problem. Gentleman Johnny Marcone, Chicago's top mob boss, warns Harry to keep his nose out of this case, which of course Harry can't do. Especially when he somehow becomes the top suspect in these Black Magic murders. Now Harry has to get to work fast and find the real wizard who is committing these atrocities, otherwise, Harry's not going to live to see another week.

Published in 2000; the paperback has 384 pages. Highly recommended.


I don't have anything on tv and I can sleep in until 6:30 tomorrow so maybe I'll get some reading done.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: