Thursday, August 30, 2012

Me in front of the TV last night and tonight

 
 
Ohmygod, Paul Ryan makes me so happy and I have hope for the future. Please, oh please, they have to win in November. Paul Ryan’s speech last night at the GOP Convention in Tampa was just amazing and wonderful.
 
It was funny (from the transcript):


We are a full generation apart, Governor Romney and I. And
in some ways, we are different. There are the songs in his
Ipod, which I have heard on the campaign bus...
(LAUGHTER)
... and I have heard it on many hotel elevators.
(LAUGHTER)
He actually urged me to play some of these songs at
campaign rallies. I said, ``look, I hope it is not a deal
breaker Mitt, but my playlist starts with AC/DC and it ends with
Zeppelin.

It was provoking (from transcript):


College graduates should not have to live out their 20s in
their childhood bedrooms, staring up at fading Obama posters and
wondering when they can move out and get going with life.


It was touching (from transcript):
 


My Mom started a small business, and I've seen what it
takes. Mom was 50 when my Dad died. She got on a bus every
weekday for years, and rode 40 miles each morning to Madison.
She earned a new degree and learned new skills to start her
small business. It wasn't just a new livelihood. It was a new
life. And it transformed my Mom from a widow in grief to a
small businesswoman whose happiness wasn't just in the past.
Her work gave her hope. It made our family proud.
And to this day, my Mom is my role model.

Taking on the issues (from transcript):
 


So our opponents can consider themselves on notice. In
this election, on this issue , the usual posturing on the Left
isn't going to work. Mitt Romney and I know the difference
between protecting a program and raiding it. Ladies and
gentlemen, our nation needs this debate, we want this debate, we
will win in this debate.

 

Challenging and poetic (from transcript):
 

Obamacare, as much as anything else, explains why a
presidency that began with such anticipation now comes to such a
disappointing close. It began with a financial crisis. It ends
with a job crisis. It began with a housing crisis they alone
didn't cause. It ends with a housing crisis they didn't
correct.
(APPLAUSE)
It began with a perfect AAA credit rating for the United
States. It ends with the downgraded America . It all started
off with stirring speeches, Greek columns, the thrill of
something new. Now all that's left is a presidency adrift,
surviving on slogans that already seem tired., grasping at the
moment that has already passed, like a ship trying to sail on
yesterday's wind.

It was honest and inspiring (from transcript):
 


So here is our pledge.
We will not duck the tough issues, we will lead.
We will not spend the next four years blaming others, we
will take responsibility.
We will not try to replace our founding principles, we will
reapply our founding principles.
(APPLAUSE)
The work ahead will be hard. These times demand the best
of all of us -- all of us, but we can do this -- we can do this
. Together, we can do this.
We can get this country working again. We can get this
economy growing again. We can make the safety net safe again.
We can do this.
Whatever your political party, let's come together for the
sake of our country. Join Mitt Romney and me. Let's give this
effort everything we have. Let's see this through all the way.
Let's get this done.


What Romney/Ryan are doing isn’t easy. They’re elevating the campaign rhetoric to the issues and their solutions -- unlike their competition. I am so tired of the negativity of the current administration. I'll definitely be watching tonight's last night.
Reading: Of course, when I get a book I want to read (Louise Penny’s), I get notifications from the library about 14-day books. I’ll tell you about them tomorrow.
Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: