Friday, January 2, 2015

Om nom nom. This fleshy bit is the best part.


Currently reading A YEAR BY THE SEA by Joan Anderson. Nonfiction. Here's a description:
Life is a work in progress, as ever-changing as a sandy shoreline along the beach. During the years Joan Anderson was a loving wife and supportive mother, she had slowly and unconsciously replaced her own dreams with the needs of her family. With her sons grown, however, she realized that the family no longer centered on the home she provided, and her relationship with her husband had become stagnant. Like many women in her situation, Joan realized that she had neglected to nurture herself and, worse, to envision fulfilling goals for her future. As her husband received a wonderful job opportunity out-of-state, it seemed that the best part of her own life was finished. Shocking both of them, she refused to follow him to his new job and decided to retreat to a family cottage on Cape Cod. At first casting about for direction, Joan soon began to take plea-sure in her surroundings and call on resources she didn't realize she had. Over the course of a year, she gradually discovered that her life as an "unfinished woman" was full of possibilities.

Published in 1999, it has 210 pages. This is on the Kindle. 

I'm also getting to work on my reading goal of the Dorothy Dunnett books. I'm starting THE DISORDERLY KNIGHTS, 3rd of six in the Lymond Chronicles. Here's a description:
1548. His reputation freshly restored after his actions in France, Lymond travels to the Isle of Malta, home to the Crusading Order of Knights Hospitaller of St John, just before the Ottoman Turks lay it under siege. There he becomes embroiled in a contest of wits with a man who may or may not be a living saint, and discovers a secret that will transform that intellectual contest into a visceral struggle for his native Scotland.

Published in 1966, it has 529 pages. I have this both as a paperback and Kindle. And an audiobook. You can see I've been determined to read it for some time. This is the month! 

I'm tempted to add the Poldark series to my goals because I see that they've made a new Masterpiece miniseries coming this year and I prefer to read the books ahead of a movie or televised version. I've always heard good things about them and there are 12 books. I'll have to think about it. 

Next up will be to choose a book from my TBR pile to read this month. Not a difficult thing really; they're all books/authors I love. It's just that they're so many of them and they're all calling my name for attention. However, the year is off to a good start, I've already completed two books and it's only the second day of the year. Ha!

Downton Abbey starts on Sunday. I don't know if I'll watch it. I'm kinda getting over it already. We'll see. 

TGIF! Even though it feels like a Monday with the day off yesterday. Woot!
Snow is coming for the weekend, starting tonight. Boo.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: