Wednesday, January 21, 2015

This is my shocked face. No really, it is.


I have been re-reading CATCHING FIRE by Suzanne Collins.This is the 2nd book of THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy. I re-watched the movie which prompted me to go back to the source. I am struck how different and so much better the books are than the movies. Yes, I know that's obvious in general. Even though the books are in first person POV therefore it is all Katniss all the time, so much more happens in the books -- the movies just have too much of a battle with the clock even when you split the book into two movies as with the third book. The characters are developed so much more in the books, especially Peeta's. I have always been Team Peeta from the beginning. But the movies, the actor is good looking but sadly he is just too short (5'7") and doesn't have the build for the role.  Today I was struck by a line in the book that says that Katniss hugs Peeta, her check resting against his chest. Sorry, that just can't happen with these actors. I read the books before the movies and I always pictured him bigger, stronger (able to easily lift the big bags of flour, etc.) And, well, nothing against Lawrence but she's a tall woman (5'9"); Katniss to me was average-ish in size if not on the small side for growing up with lack of food and therefore the use of her as a symbol to fight the Capitol was that much more meaningful let alone to win the games. And second, the movie only has time to hit the highlights of building the relationship between the two and the relationship is the foundation everything else rests on, IMHO. There is time to show Peeta's strengths and how he is a partner, inside and outside the games. In the movies, he's pretty much a victim that Katniss has to protect/rescue. In the books, they are spending days and days together therefore we believe that Katniss has feelings eventually for him and therefore Peeta's jacking in book three has so much more meaning. He was a sweet guy in love and they twisted it. And don't get me started on how they gutted Finnick's character in the movies.

Sigh.  At least we have the books.

I talked to Steve on the phone last night and at one point I put it on speaker for the dogs to hear him. Ryker's head was cocking from side to side (very funny and cute) and I don't think Coda could hear it being that he was down at my feet and Ryker was right next to me.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: