Tuesday, March 29, 2016

We've all had that problem, right? Right?


Yay I stayed up until 10 last night to watch NCIS: Los Angeles!


Boo, it was one of those I'm-not-going-to-sleep-all-night nights.


Well, it's not that I don't WANT to sleep ...


Simple.

So I was incorrect about the Estelle Ryan book. It comes out tomorrow.



Yup. Hey, we're damned lucky she writes more than one book a year. I love that kind of author.


So I think what I'll start is WINNER'S KISS by Marie Rutkoski. 3rd of fantasy trilogy. Here's a description:
War has begun. Arin is in the thick of it with untrustworthy new allies and the empire as his enemy. Though he has convinced himself that he no longer loves Kestrel, Arin hasn’t forgotten her, or how she became exactly the kind of person he has always despised. She cared more for the empire than she did for the lives of innocent people―and certainly more than she did for him. At least, that’s what he thinks. In the frozen north, Kestrel is a prisoner in a brutal work camp. As she searches desperately for a way to escape, she wishes Arin could know what she sacrificed for him. She wishes she could make the empire pay for what they’ve done to her. But no one gets what they want just by wishing. As the war intensifies, both Kestrel and Arin discover that the world is changing. The East is pitted against the West, and they are caught in between. With so much to lose, can anybody really win?
Published in 2016, it has 468 pages. 

The issue with my reading problem the last few days is, yes I'm stuck in an obession on youtube -- more on that in a minute -- and I'm reading two books that I've previously started and got stalled out on. Double book slump whammy.

Obsession. What I love about the character of Mason on the old soap Santa Barbara was his extremely dry wit and delivery. They don't make them like that anymore.

Here's a sample:
JULIA (seeing Mason rather drunk at the bar): You must be trying to drown your troubles.
MASON: No not drown ‘em. Just hold their heads under a little while and scare the hell out of them.
(Good Lord I love that!) and:
JULIA: You’re not your father you know. I would never marry a man who’s as controlling as your father is.
MASON:  How do you know I won’t turn into a domineering tyrant the moment I say I do?
JULIA: I don’t.
MASON: I won’t. But if I do at least I’ll be sneaky about it. My father’s problem was whenever he tried to manipulate somebody he was so damned obvious.
And a clip:



Tonight I have Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., "Watchdogs":

A radical group emerges with plans to eliminate Inhumans and Agent Mack is caught in the crossfire with his brother. Elsewhere: Simmons unearths a powerful chemical compound that could impact the future for Inhumans.
Dark and rain mixed with possible snow today. Completely wasted being at work. Bah. I could be reading and napping, reading and napping....


Exactly!

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: