Thursday, March 26, 2009

Just a Thursday

I grew up with music; playing piano, singing in choir and in my darkened bedroom, playing guitar, etc. I enjoy listening to music but for some reason over the past few months I've preferred silence. I don't know why exactly other than I'm comfortable with my own thoughts and don't need a diversion (shrug).

Yesterday, I stopped by a store called Barjons which sells sort of "new age" types of products -- crystals, books, incense, etc. I knew JodyO was getting back in touch with that aspect of herself and I wanted to pick up a card for her when we had lunch and she would do reiki on me. The store owner was playing a CD. It was a woman singing in another language (Lula?) and very upbeat and made me feel I was missing out on international flavors of music.

Then, at JodyO's, she had music playing. Actually two systems playing, one in the living room and one in the family room. It was so soothing and I realized that it creates such an ambiance that was missing from my days. So right now I'm listening to the "meditative" channel on AOL radio. Within that channel there have been some wonderfully diverse types of music playing -- whale songs in one, flute and drums in another, now a guitar is playing softly. I think I need to reintroduce music back.

I've got quite a lot of CD's of music as well as old cassettes and records from library sales. I should pick a few to play throughout the day when I'm not at a computer. Checking out new music, it looks like Diana Krall has a new one available.

Didn't get much reading time in last night so I'm still halfway through EXECUTION DOCK by Anne Perry. We had a snow storm blow through last night so I'll be hunkering down after Tug's walk and nothing on TV for me tonight so I'll probably get it done.

A TV heads up: Masterpiece Theatre this Sunday (at least in my viewing area) is starting the British miniseries Little Dorrit. I've been keeping my eye on this one for a few months. It's been a big hit in the UK, I understand, but mainly it stars one of my newly found favorite actors, Matthew Macfadyen. And it's a Dickens that I haven't read yet so doubly nice.

Today's Blog/Website of the Day is Reactions to Reading found at http://reactionstoreading.wordpress.com/. Lots of book reviews here and I like the rating scale on the side.

So, time to make some soup for lunch and then walk the critter. Have a lovely rest of the day!

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: