Thursday, September 17, 2009

September 17


If I could only devote the time, I'm currently reading the sequel to Dan Brown's blockbuster THE DA VINCI CODE. This is called THE LOST SYMBOL and the 3rd of three in series featuring Robert Langdon, a Harvard professor of symbology. Here is a description:


As the story opens, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is summoned unexpectedly to deliver an evening lecture in the U.S. Capitol Building. Within minutes of his arrival, however, the night takes a bizarre turn. A disturbing object--artfully encoded with five symbols--is discovered in the Capitol Building. Langdon recognizes the object as an ancient invitation . . . one meant to usher its recipient into a long-lost world of esoteric wisdom. When Langdon’s beloved mentor, Peter Solomon--a prominent Mason and philanthropist--is brutally kidnapped, Langdon realizes his only hope of saving Peter is to accept this mystical invitation and follow wherever it leads him. Langdon is instantly plunged into a clandestine world of Masonic secrets, hidden history, and never-before-seen locations--all of which seem to be dragging him toward a single, inconceivable truth.

It was just published and has 528 pages.


I've stated previously that I've always loved this type of story: political intrigue, etc. Dan Brown wrote such a story a few years ago that became wildly successful because he apparently trip upon themes that resonated with readers. He wrote a story to entertain readers. He wrote fiction; he made up a story. People revile this man and his writing -- why? Because he was so successful for no known reason? Because he touched upon story elements that were "sacred?" Secret? Many people will read this book because they like it; many people will read and say they do so oh so reluctantly. Just read a fricking book and enjoy it fergodssake. You are the only one judging you on what you read and if you like it, just like it and get over it.


I was busy this morning. First I went to a church book sale. I was a VERY good customer of theirs a couple years ago and now I'm on their mailing list. Lots of books but for me the pickings were mostly slim. I got there shortly after they opened at 8 and I still had a problem finding parking and the place was busy. I did get a few Rex Stout/Ellery Queen/Ed McBain to add to my classics. A found a history by Alison Weir I don't have yet. My biggest treasure to me were hard cover what-look-to-be first editions (and not reading club editions) of the DUNE series. I wasn't looking for them so I don't have the first book; I may have to go back to check. That took an hour and a half. Then I gassed the car, stopped by the library to pick up a hold and then the grocery store. When I got home I walked Tug before it hit the 90s today. That was all before noon. I admit I was a bit tired this afternoon after being on my feet so much.


Tonight is the new season premiere of Survivor. And Fringe.


The Constitution was signed on this date, September 17, 1787. The U.S. Constitution has 4,400 words. It is the oldest and shortest written Constitution of any major government in the world. When the Constitution was signed, the United States’ population was 4 million. It is now more than 300 million. As Benjamin Franklin left the Pennsylvania State House after the final meeting of the Constitutional Convention on September 17, 1787, he was approached by the wife of the mayor of Philadelphia. She was curious as to what the new government would be. Franklin replied, “A republic, madam. If you can keep it.”


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: