Saturday, June 26, 2010

Unless you're a 148 pound dog like someone I know


I think I've decided to read DANGEROUS SEA by David Roberts next. This is 4th of 10 in series featuring Lord Edward Corinth, a jaded English aristocrat, and Verity Browne, a leftist journalist, between the wars in 1930s London. Here is a description:




It is the spring of 1937 and distinguished economist Lord Benyon is on the Queen Mary, bound for New York. His mission is to persuade President Roosevelt to provide Britain with arms and money if it nters the war with Germany - as seems very likely. Many want the mission to fail and will not stop at murder to achieve their aim. Major Ferguson of Special Branch, a friend of Lord Edward Corinth, asks Edward to keep an unofficial eye on Benyon who refuses to be surrounded by policemen on the Queen Mary, but is prepared to have Edward at his side. Also on board is Verity Browne, travelling to America at the Communist Party's behest to liaise with sympathizers there. But it is not Lord Benyon who is murdered but the rascist senator from South Carolina who has managed to enrage a number of his fellow passengers - not least Warren Fairley, the black singer, actor and communist. But surely Fairley is too obvious a suspect? Might not the murderer be the German aeronautical engineer, or Marcus Fern, the city banker who is acting as Benyon's secretary? And what about Bernard Hunt, the art dealer, or even the young American union organiser Sam Forrest, with whom Verity is so taken?

It was published in 2003 and has 288 pages.


It was so nice to sleep in this morning. Of course for me that means waking up at 5:30 and then dozing until 7. It rained a bit this morning but now it is humid and getting warmer. I think it's supposed to hit the 80s again in the temps.


I just got done walking Tug before it got too warm. I'm reading some emails, news and blogs and he is now napping right behind my chair in my office so I can't move. Steve is out helping a gun class. I must have done dinner right a couple nights ago: he requested the leftovers for dinner tonight because it was so good. All I had done was put a roast in the crockpot with some beef broth and a packet of onion soup and let it cook all day until it was shredding. I put it in a hoagie bun with gooey cheese. He said the house smelled so good that day and I know he loves gooey cheese. I also got some strawberries and an angel cake loaf and Cool Whip -- he also likes strawberry short cake I discovered at my folks' house. I can take or leave just like cheese cake. But Steve's a good guy and I like to treat him sometimes. :)


I hope to work on my newsletter this afternoon ... and maybe take a nap. There's a garage sale up the street that the guy says he's bringing out an oak bookcase later so I'll go check that out. Always need bookcases.


Hope your weekend is spent doing things you love.


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: