Saturday, June 5, 2010

Well I thought everyone knew that, sheesh


Since I get up so early to get to work by 6, sleeping in on weekends now means 6am. That sucks. :) But it also means I get to nap later, so that's not too bad.


I already mentioned my itinerary for the weekend. Nuttin' has changed yet.


******************************

Is there a specific book or author you find yourself recommending over and over?


I am a reading enabler (or book ambassador to put a nice spin on it), I admit it, so I tend to push books of all sorts on everyone I know. I also try to convey my love of historical mysteries to others. I usually recommend CJ Sansom for something meaty and a good feel for the historical setting. I push Alan Gordon all the time because I think the concept of a medieval CIA using jesters is brilliant and the writing is humorous. A book I read last year really made an impression on me and I love the title so I mention that one: THE BOOK OF UNHOLY MISCHIEF by Elle Newmark. This year's best read so far is HERESY by SJ Parris.


Background noise or silence?

One of my best reading memories involved music. My first summer in Virginia City, it was a rainy early season and I had to have the Brewery open in the afternoons for tourists but nobody came. I had my boombox with tapes of Vivaldi and Brahms and I read Ayn Rand and M.M. Kaye in a dimly lit, over 100-year old building with moody music and good reads. That stands out for me. Yes, I think having background noise -- music in particular -- is wonderful. I have a vinyl record collection I got for pennies at a library sale of music since the middle ages that would enhance my historical mystery reading. Having AOL radio or any of the online music sites going with movie scores would be fantastic -- but I don't because I don't think of it in time. I just usually plunk down and read. But any storytelling is enhanced by music. I remember reading or seeing a documentary about when Star Wars was in testing before being released. The first showing didn't have the musical score yet and people just didn't like it. The next testing, with that wonderful distinctive music made all the difference. Music informs audiences how to feel or at least to feel it deeper.


***********************************************


Have a lovely Saturday (and it's not even 7am yet) ....


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster


No comments: