Saturday, July 17, 2010

Got the "buff and puff" special, like it?


Sorry, didn't have time to post yesterday. I got off work, rushed home to walk Tug, then had to head over to the in-laws for dinner. We didn't get home until 10 and I was exhausted after a full day and getting up at 4:30am.


I'm currently reading THE PASSAGE by Justin Cronin. This was just published and is being a sleeper blockbuster read of the summer. It is the first of a proposed trilogy; it is (rightly so far in my reading of it) being compared to Stephen King's THE STAND; the movie rights have been sold to Ridley Scott. Here is a description:


When a secret project to create a super-soldier backfires, a virus leads to a plague of vampiric revenants that wipes out most of the population. One of the few bands of survivors is the Colony, a FEMA-established island of safety bunkered behind massive banks of lights that repel the virals, or dracs—but a small group realizes that the aging technological defenses will soon fail. When members of the Colony find a young girl, Amy, living outside their enclave, they realize that Amy shares the virals' agelessness, but not the virals' mindless hunger, and they embark on a search to find answers to her condition.

Published in June 2010, it has 784 pages. I'm reading it on the Kindle. I abhor vampire stories but this is not really a story of that; it is more of the medical/military experiment gone wrong and now the world is in a post-apocalyptic state. There are paragraphs of too much description for my taste at times, but it provides a fuller story. One has to keep reading it in a sense of impending catastrophe sort of way. There are multiple characters like THE STAND and the sense of events getting bigger and something scary around the corner.


I've got to get moving. I have to go to a haircut appointment in about 15-20 minutes. It was so hot yesterday, nearly 100, today it is supposed to be in the 80s. I've got to walk Tug after the haircut, do the usual weekend cleaning and work on my newsletter this weekend.


Have a good Saturday!


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: