Saturday, July 31, 2010

We can be heroes...


I'm currently reading -- or about to engage in -- another advanced reading copy. This is THE VALLEY OF DRY BONES by Priscilla Royal. This is 7th of 7 in series featuring Eleanor, Prioress of Tyndal, in 11th century East Anglia, England. Here is a description:


In the late summer of 1274, King Edward has finally been anointed England's ruler, and his queen contemplates a pilgrimage in gratitude for their safe return from Outremer, a journey that will include a stay at Tyndal Priory. Envoys are sent to confirm that everything will be suitable for the king's wife, and Prioress Eleanor nervously awaits them, knowing that regal visits bring along expense and honor. The cost is higher than expected, however, when Death arrives as the unexpected emissary. One of the courtiers is murdered near the hut where Brother Thomas now lives as a hermit. Each member of the party has reason to hate the dead man, including Crowner Ralf's eldest brother, Sir Fulke, and the prioress's nemesis, the man in black. Soon Eleanor is embroiled in the dangerous world of power games, both secular and religious. Indeed, England's future under a new king may offer hope and relief, but skeletons from the past can come back to life like those in the biblical valley of dry bones. Which had cause enough to kill?


This is 250 pages and will be published in October of this year. I'm reading it as a PDF on my Kindle for www.netgalley.com. I don't have an image for the cover to put on the side. None available.


I've been working on business for my newsletter. I've set up email, set up very basic Paypal merchant services, and I've put up a very rudimentary webpage at www.premeditatedonline.com.


I watched the second episode of Pillars of the Earth last night... fantastic!! I don't know what I'll be doing tonight; I may read or we do have a DVD to watch: The Blind Side. So we'll see.


I have to tell you this. I was walking Tug yesterday after work up in the field and there are starting to be grasshoppers around more. Three boys on bikes passed us; they were about 1st grade age. The second time they passed I heard one hollering "I hate grasshoppers! They're my WORST ENEMY!" I loved it. It was so sincere and almost superhero-ish. It would have been even better if he had had a towel around him like a cape. But it was 92 degrees so I don't blame him for leaving it at home.


I had hoped to do more for Premeditated but my brain is kinda worn out now. And oh yeah, Moby Dick is now in my driveway.


Have a good Saturday!


Much love,

PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: