Friday, April 12, 2013

Tuckered




So..... four hours later my feet were killing me. I went to the Friends of the Library book sale. I'm glad I went but to be honest, after all the hype about the books in the storage having to sold ... nothing was different from previous sales. Honestly. And the historical mysteries that I collect ... a dearth. Oh I found books to buy but I was prepared to buy much more. I'll catalogue my booty tomorrow.

Oh, and the bigger revelation at the sale: I was looking at a wall of books and suddenly realized the entire floor had many wooden bookcases! Ah ha! And they weren't going to have a use for them anymore because they don't have the space like that in the new library. I left my name and number. Woot!

I just finished the Susan Hill book, HOWARDS END IS ON THE LANDING. It's not a big book at all but I almost walked away from it. She doesn't like Jane Austen. EXCUSE ME? She just doesn't get her. She does love Virginia Woolf and many obscure authors and has been on committees that awards literary prizes.  This is a woman who was in college, etc., in the late 50s and early 60s. I called her book snob yesterday and I still say she is although toward the end of the book I was understanding her better. And she is quite the name dropper, I must say, though she did warn of it in the very beginning. I love what I read and I think I read a variety .... but she made me want to be even more well read. I felt maybe not inadequate but feeling my American 70's education keenly.

Tonight. Sadly. Is the very last ever episode of Spartacus. Four years we've seen every episode. It was violently graphic in blood and gor and sex. And I have loved every minute of it. But Spartacus is a historical figure and historically he loses this rebellion. And tonight is that fall. The only out I can see is that historically they never found his body though 6000 of his fellow slave rebels were crucified at the end. Perhaps they'll do a freeze frame on a last tragic charge at the Romans knowing they fought the good fight but they will die.

After that is the premiere of Da Vinci's Demons. This original series on Starz looks to be gorgeously rendered but I predict will be light on truths -- picking and dabbling from his entire life to make things interesting.

Tomorrow I will go the book sale at a church. I have on occasion found treasures there. I find treasures with books wherever I go.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: