Saturday, April 13, 2013

Well, I find it interesting


I stopped by the second book sale this morning and looked at the goods for two hours. Found a few, as always. This is held twice a year at a church and they are always so nice.

And by demand here is what I brought in the house this weekend....



OK, a little explanation first of my haul. I’m always mainly looking for historical mysteries  -- and it ain’t easy. Apparently NO ONE else reads this sub-genre or never buys them and goes to the library or buys them and keeps them for ever and ever. I really wanted more Charles Todd or Paul Doherty as an example.

So then I was also looking for things that I’ve already read but wanted to own or I know I've owned in the past but where they are now I have no idea.... especially in the SFF category (Asimov, Kurtz, Eddings, Martin). So ultimately I picked up what I could find. And I decided it was the time to fill in on Anne Perry so there's quite a few here this time, especially the Monk series which I've enjoyed and mostly read from the library in the early days. And this symbol * indicates that I’ve already read it sometime in the past but I just wanted to have it or to have a better copy of it. And probably because I finished the Susan Hill book about books, I found I was in the mood for some classics.

Alexander, Lloyd
THE BLACK CAULDRON *

Asimov, Isaac
THE FOUNDATION TRILOGY *
THE CAVES OF STEEL *
FOUNDATIONS EDGE *
FORWARD THE FOUNDATION *

Beck, Glenn
THE OVERTON WINDOW

Bowen, Rhys
A ROYAL PAIN

Bradbury, Ray
THE ILLUSTRATED MAN *

Buckley, Fiona
THE FUGITIVE QUEEN *
THE DOUBLET AFFAIR *

Cleverly, Barbara
THE LAST KASHMIRI ROSE

Dickins, Charles
GREAT EXPECTIONS
DAVID COPPERFIELD
LITTLE DORRIT

Didion, Joan
THE YEAR OF MAGICAL THINKING

Doherty, Paul
THE POISONER OF PTAH
THE SEASON OF THE HYENA

Eddings, David 
CASTLE OF WIZARDRY *
QUEEN OF SORCERY *
PAWN OF PROPHECY *
MAGICIAN’S GAMBIT *

Emerson, Kathy Lynn
FACE DOWN BEFORE REBEL HOOVES *

Charles Finch
THE FLEET STREET MURDERS *

Fitzgerald, F Scott
THE GREAT GATSBY

Grace, C.L.
SAINTLY MURDERS

Hawke, Simon
A MYSTERY OF ERRORS

Herbert, Brian &  Kevin J Anderson
HOUSE CORRINO

Homer Hickam Jr  
OCTOBER SKY 

James, Henry
THE AMBASSADORS

Krentz, Jayne
WHITE LIES

Kurtz, Katherine
HIGH DERYNI *
DERYNI CHECKMATE *
SAINT CAMBER *
QUEST FOR SAINT CAMBER *

Liss, David
THE DEVIL’S COMPANY *

Lovesey, Peter
WAXWORK

Martin, George RR
A CLASH OF KINGS *

Mieville, China
THE CITY THE CITY

Mitchell, Margaret
GONE WITH THE WIND * (hardcover)

Pearl, Matthew
THE DANTE CLUB

Penman, Sharon Kay
LIONHEART

Perez-Reverte, Arturo
THE CLUB DUMAS

Perry Anne
FUNERAL IN BLUE *
SLAVES OF OBESSION *
DARK ASSASSIN *
THE TWISTED ROOT *
WEIGHED IN THE BALANCE *
THE SILENT CRY *

EXECUTION DOCK *
BREACH OF PROMSE *
THE FACE OF A STRANGER *

 NO GRAVES AS YET 
DEATH IN THE DEVIL’S ACRE *
HALF MOON STREET
BEDFORD SQUARE
LONG SPOON LANE
RESURRECTION ROW
SILENCE IN HANOVER CLOSE
BRUNSWICK GARDENS
SEVEN DIALS

Peters, Ellis
THE PILGRIM OF HATE *

Rankin, Ian
WITCH HUNT

Ross, Kate
A BROKEN VESSEL *

Rowe, Rosemary
THE VESTAL VANISHES

Todd, Charles
A MATTER OF JUSTICE
A LONG SHADOW

Trollope, Anthony
BARCHESTER TOWERS

Weir, Alison
HENRY VIII

Wharton, Edith
ETHAN FROME *

Misc.
SELECTIONS FROM THE TATLER AND THE SPECTATOR (Addison and Steele)
an old arithmetic book (1942)

So there it is. I wanted so much more. (sigh)

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

1 comment:

Neil Plakcy said...

I re-read the Lloyd Alexander books two years ago in preparation for a trip to Wales -- I found that they still held up after having read them as a kid.

I liked the Katherine Kurtz books back then too -- will have to look them up again!