Friday, September 13, 2013

A sense of humor is essential

Not really Your Shade

Ugh, I can't even tell you. Steve's dad has pneumonia and, a very long story short, resisted being put in the hospital yesterday but we believe he will be admitted today. Steve doesn't handle this kind of situation well, let's just stop it at that. That family drives me crazy.

So, I'm very glad it's Friday. Getting through the day.

I finished DARK FEVER by Karen Marie Moning. I'd say this is a Buffy the Vampire Slayer wannabe and changed the vampires to Celtic Seelie/Unseelie. I'll probably read the next in the series since this book was so much set up. I have a request in for a digital loan so will read it when it pops up for me. Otherwise, pretty "meh" in my reading taste. I know some readers absolutely love Barrons and the series but so far it hasn't grabbed me like that.

I think I'm finally in the mood to read book two of the Lymond Chronicles by Dorothy Dunnett, QUEENS PLAY. Here's a brief description:
... (1548) Lymond, his status in Scotland restored, travels to France in a surprising (and amusing) disguise on the pretext of having some fun at the expense of the country that enslaved him for two years. He thus appears in the guise of Irishman accompanying an Irish prince. He soon becomes embroiled in the intrigue, danger, politics, and madcap antics of the 16th-century French Court and quickly realizes that something in the fertile flower of France is rotten. After narrowly deflecting the first of a series of assassination attempts against Mary, the six-year-old Scots Queen, he sets out to expose and capture by any and every means possible those who would do the young Queen harm. However, he must do so in the most circumspect manner, as he finds his own well-being and the lives of his friends, new and old, at deadly risk from many quarters.
It was first published in 1964 and has 450 pages.This is very dense reading because the author was incredibly smart and apparently well-read and throws in quotes or songs in other languages and references things that a reader of this generation wasn't educated in. It's part of the fun to raise your own level to hers. So mood-wise, I'm mixing intellect and entertainment.

I don't know what to have for dinner but tending toward picking up something and probably to heck with my meal plan just to make it easy. I have Say Yes to the Dress and Strike Back to watch tonight.

Much love,
PK the Bookeemonster

No comments: